What IEM system for live music?
May 14, 2012 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

brebis

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am a singer and guitarist.  I currently have a basic non-wireless IEM system comprising a Samson S-Monitor amp and Shure SCL2 in-ear monitors. That was a cheap system (about $200) but the sound I get is not very good.  Also, I hear a disturbing low-pitched resonance in my head when I sing low notes (around the note D and below).

What would you advise to improve the sound? I don't need wireless because I play seated and my budget is less than $800.  I recently tried a standard Sennheiser headphone and found it better than my current Shure earbuds but of course it's not really suited to on stage performance (the look of it...).

What do you think:
  1. earbud style: custom molded are really better than standard earbuds?
  2. stereo vs mono mix?
  3. effects or dry mix?
  4. types/makes of earbuds?
  5. types/makes of IEM systems?

Thank you for your help.

May 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 9
We play in concerts in front of 100 to 200 people or in bars/restaurants.  I'm not sure what you mean by "sources".  I need to hear everything (drums, bass, guitars, voices) with my voice and guitars a little louder.

May 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 9
If you are happy with the feeds that you are getting from the FOH desk, then a basic headphone amp should do the job just fine. After this you are really only looking at wireless solutions as implementing a personal mixer like the Roland M48 or Aviom system would be too expensive for just one person.

No sure what's going on with the buzzing you are hearing, but a good clean send from the desk should be amplified just fine. Likely you want to look at getting a set of high quality in ear monitors. You have a solid budget, so you should definitely look at customs, there are plenty of options in your price range. That said, you said you are usually seated, so you could probably get away with a good set of over ears too.

May 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
We play in concerts in front of 100 to 200 people or in bars/restaurants.  I'm not sure what you mean by "sources".  I need to hear everything (drums, bass, guitars, voices) with my voice and guitars a little louder.

Westone UM3X Musician's Monitors

very good instrument separation and crystal clear in your face Vocals

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 9
After further reading I discovered that the disturbing low-pitched resonance I hear is called the occlusion effect.  Any advice as to what to do to avoid/limit that?

Cheers

May 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 9
^After thinking about your predicament and my own experiences, I would suggest different eartips. Using silicon on my Etymotic Mc5 I can hear the low tones in my voice, using the foam Monster supertips, not very much. Using Klipsch gels on my X10, again, I hear more resonance, and also with my UE TripleFi 10.

To avoid hearing yourself, try a foam supertip. My theory is that id a headphone has small nozzles, and has to use the adapter for Monster supertips, then it has less contact with the entire tube. This extra layer, plus the silicon core and foam surround gives my Etymotic insulation against resonance conducted through the earphone, though the occlusion effect would still be present.

There is still some heard, it is being lessened with different tips.

May 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 9
The SM3, UM3x, Westone 4R, XB4 are recommended and they all sound detailed(present guitars and others instruments very well). But i will also recommend to buy custom IEMs like JH13Pro, ES5 from here(buy/sell headphones forum) and reshell them later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back