What "house sound" annoys you the most?
Aug 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #47 of 154

Quote:

I wouldn't even consider them to be in the audiophile category as a manufacturer of earphones. I can't imagine at one point I thought their iBuds were all right. What do you dislike about the ATH/Denon V curve? 

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 154
For me, it's definitely Denon or something similar (like ATH-M50s). Sounds so wonderful at first, just wows you. But then, after some listening, the lack of midrange REALLY starts to wear at you. I ended up selling my M50s as portable headphones and use my PX100s because at least they don't end up killing my ears after an hour. I can't believe people would  put the M50s in the same league as the SRH840, but that's just my opinion.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 154
ATH has very different frequency shapes for each headphone, not just a V

Quote:

I wouldn't even consider them to be in the audiophile category as a manufacturer of earphones. I can't imagine at one point I thought their iBuds were all right. What do you dislike about the ATH/Denon V curve? 

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #52 of 154
I really wonder how some of you feel M50s are V-curved and mid recessed.    Bass bloat doesn't make mids recessed, they are still there.  Go buy some tape.  At least I know how some people hear now.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #53 of 154

Quote:
I really wonder how some of you feel M50s are V-curved and mid recessed.    Bass bloat doesn't make mids recessed, they are still there.  Go buy some tape.  At least I know how some people hear now.

I could honestly care less what a graph says... to my ears the mids sound recessed. Graphs prove relatively nothing. According to some graphs, the K701 has lots of bass and Senns have spikes. I love how people use graphs to prove their point, it's quite amusing and shows how little they actually know about audio.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #54 of 154

This proves my point graphs are useless.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #57 of 154

Quote:

I could honestly care less what a graph says... to my ears the mids sound recessed. Graphs prove relatively nothing. According to some graphs, the K701 has lots of bass and Senns have spikes. I love how people use graphs to prove their point, it's quite amusing and shows how little they actually know about audio.

Lol, I'm certainly not the FR curve cult leader around these parts.  So it's foolhearty to use a graph when it coincides w/ what you hear?  It wasn't a proof, merely a piece of evidence that coincides w/ my hearing of the M50 that's different from yours.  The M50 and 530 graph look pretty accurate to me.  I guess you like listening to music at low volumes.   Read nerdling's link and try locating the volume knob, but you already knew that right?  I also guess you believe discounting a known measured quantity elevates you to a higher higher plane of audio consciousness.  May we all bow down to your magnificence for transcending the limits of scientific knowledge.  Knowing measurements has their limitations is not the same as discounting what is measured arbitrarily.  

How does your graph prove that graphs are 'useless'?

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #58 of 154
Well, at least you're bowing to me now, that's a start. :wink: On a more serious note, my graph proves they're completely useless quite clearly. If you have heard all of these headphones, you will understand why it's funny and proves relatively nothing about how they sound in the real world.

Check out pretty much any M50 post and you will see very many respected members stating the M50 has recessed mids, U shaped frequency response (since you seemingly have a fetish for those). Maybe you just haven't heard very many headphones to be able to compare them? Listen to HD600s or K701s and tell me the M50s don't have recessed mids.  :)

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #59 of 154
It's pretty clear that the mids are not loud enough, as well the general quality of the mid-tones is lower, or maybe it's just that they pale in comparison to the highs and lows. 

The U curve is one thing that makes a lot of people love these cans. Including me, so really, there's nothing wrong with stating the fact. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back