What headphones to get for my Zune 120?
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

i31337

New Head-Fier
I'm beginning to get sick of the stupid earbuds that came with it falling out of my ears. Just wondering what would be good for under $30 (or in the area of)

So far I've looked at the Zune Premium Earphones, the Razer Moray earphones, and I found some nice looking Koss earphones a Walmart.

I want some with good bass and overall sound (well, as good as I can get for the price range). I currently have all my music on there in WMA10 VBR, and might see if there's any difference by having it in WMA Lossless or not. If any of that makes any difference.

I mean, it sounds pretty good on my A700s, but I really don't feel like walking around at school with those on
tongue.gif

Thanks for any ideas, I just don't want to end up putting out some cash for some nice 'phones and regretting it.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 14
The Zune Premium earphones are actually a very nice set. They were included with my Z80 and I keep them around for 'backup'. If you want to stay on the cheap then consider those for sure.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 14
I think some headphones by Koss are some strong contenders. They go cheap at wallmart but I don't remember exactly what they are called.

Search around for Koss or something and you should find something.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 14
marshmallows or AKA FX-33 from jvc can be had for about$19USD and a solid performer in the sub $50 range the koss buds mentioned also give decent sound for little green spent. Be warned though i consider these to be "gateway" iem/buds and you my develope upgradeitus down the road...You have been warned

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i consider these to be "gateway" iem/buds

Sorry, but, huh? What exactly do you mean my "gateway"? I don't see the need to get ultra high-end IEMs for a Zune, when the sound isn't as good as my computer for example. I hooked in my A700s and noticed the difference in quality immediately. Maybe it's just me (or that I havn't tried WMA Lossless on there yet) but to me the sound on the Zune sounds...hmm... flatter maybe? I don't know how to describe it. I just don't see the need to spend the extra cash on something that will only offer marginal gains. (keep in mind I'm still working on the whole 'audiophile' thing, and may be completely mistaken)

Anyways, I'm kinda leaning towards the Koss right now, any other ideas or objection to the Koss' from Wallmart? I'll see if Wallmart has those JVCs too, how do those compare to the Koss'?

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by i31337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but, huh? What exactly do you mean my "gateway"? I don't see the need to get ultra high-end IEMs for a Zune, when the sound isn't as good as my computer for example. I hooked in my A700s and noticed the difference in quality immediately. Maybe it's just me (or that I havn't tried WMA Lossless on there yet) but to me the sound on the Zune sounds...hmm... flatter maybe? I don't know how to describe it. I just don't see the need to spend the extra cash on something that will only offer marginal gains. (keep in mind I'm still working on the whole 'audiophile' thing, and may be completely mistaken)

Anyways, I'm kinda leaning towards the Koss right now, any other ideas or objection to the Koss' from Wallmart? I'll see if Wallmart has those JVCs too, how do those compare to the Koss'?

He means that once you get these, you'll enjoy them so much you'll want to upgrade to discover even better sound; which costs money...

I have the Zune 80 and have tried both the Zune Premiums that came with it and the JVCs. I liked the Premiums better. They had a more balanced sound. The JVCs on the other hand seemed darker, with more powerful bass. So it'll depend on what kind of music you listen to.

But because the Zune doesn't have an eq, I would choose the Premiums for a overall more balanced sound, if this is your price range.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I'm beginning to get sick of the stupid earbuds that came with it falling out of my ears. Just wondering what would be good for under $30 (or in the area of)

So far I've looked at the Zune Premium Earphones, the Razer Moray earphones, and I found some nice looking Koss earphones a Walmart.

I want some with good bass and overall sound (well, as good as I can get for the price range). I currently have all my music on there in WMA10 VBR, and might see if there's any difference by having it in WMA Lossless or not. If any of that makes any difference.

I mean, it sounds pretty good on my A700s, but I really don't feel like walking around at school with those on
tongue.gif

Thanks for any ideas, I just don't want to end up putting out some cash for some nice 'phones and regretting it.

Get some Yuin PK3 ear buds. $39. Exceptional sound. Have them at head-direct.com.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means that once you get these, you'll enjoy them so much you'll want to upgrade to discover even better sound; which costs money...

I have the Zune 80 and have tried both the Zune Premiums that came with it and the JVCs. I liked the Premiums better. They had a more balanced sound. The JVCs on the other hand seemed darker, with more powerful bass. So it'll depend on what kind of music you listen to.

But because the Zune doesn't have an eq, I would choose the Premiums for a overall more balanced sound, if this is your price range.

So the Koss' are out? Also, like I said, I tried my A700s with my Zune and the sound was only so so IMO. Maybe I just haven't developed the ear for it yet, or maybe just prejudiced be the sound on my computer. Eh, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, that's why I here!
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

So the Koss' are out? Also, like I said, I tried my A700s with my Zune and the sound was only so so IMO. Maybe I just haven't developed the ear for it yet, or maybe just prejudiced be the sound on my computer. Eh, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, that's why I here!
smile.gif

I've never tried the Koss, so I'm not sure about those. When you compare the sound from your computer to the Zune, it also depends on what soundcard you have on that computer. I personally only use the soundchip built into my computer's motherboard so the quality isn't very good. I find the Zune sound quality to be excellent, but again, it depends on your type of music and what you like.

I'm pretty new to all of this too, but I think the Zune premium buds and Zune are a pretty good match, for the price. I personally some higher end phones with my Zune and they sound great, but the Zune premium buds and those JVCs are both relatively decent for that price range.

I've also heard good things about those Yuin ones tstarn mentioned, but those aren't noise isolating.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Ok, I guess I'll just do some looking around and decide on whichever is the cheapest among the Koss, JVC, or Zune Premiums.

Yeah, I have an X-FI Xtreme Music sound card with modded drivers, and a pair of ATH-A700 headphones. All music is FLAC via ASIO out in Winamp. So it is quite a bit better, believe me.
wink.gif
atsmile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Air Cushion JVC HA-FX66

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 14
So, anyone else gonna vote here? I'm kinda of leaning more in between the Premiums of the Koss', and a little more toward the Koss' since I can get them locally. Any other comments between those two?

Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back