What headphones should I get? I need help
Sep 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GodIsAnAstronau

New Head-Fier
They do not need to be portable they will be used in my room that's all. I listen to mostly ambient, acoustic, post-rock, experimental music, Some bands would be Mogwai, God Is An Astronaut, Pelican, Explosions in the Sky, Isis, Neurosis, Album leaf, Russian circles, etc. I also listen to some more extreme music like The Locust, Converge, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. 
Price range is $500. I will go to the max of $800 if it will surely benefit me. Also could you guys recommend me a Headphone Amp+DAC for these headphones, these as well will not be moved frequently so they do not need to be portable. Also I would like to spend no more than $400 for both Amp and DAC. 
ON a side not, I would like some speakers that I can run to the DAC aswell so I can listen to music with my friends when they are over. Or when I feel like blasting it through my house, etc. 

All and all my budget for the Headphones, Amp+DAC, and Speakers is about $1500-1600
Thanks in advance for any help. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 4
HD600
Music Streamer II
Schiit Asgard 2

Spend the rest on chicago style pizza

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 4
I started listening to God is an Astronaut after I saw this post, I'm listening to them through my HD700 on an STX right now... enjoying this :)

You should too!

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Guess it depends what you really want. I've heard lots of expensive gear at meets and stores. I have expensive phones and amps that just sit around. You probably don't need to spend a lot. I've got a Sansa clip player, O2 amp, and various headphones. My top open is K701 and top closed is Yamaha Pro 400. I've left detailed opinions in a lot of threads over time. You could probably get all that stuff for around $500 if you find the right deals on the phones. Gotta throw in a 3.5 to 3.5 cable too if you don't have one. Best thing is to listen to what you can. I think having the ability to EQ your source is important too. Very impractical to go around buying gear you haven't heard and use that as a solution to an EQ problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back