What headphones should I get? ~150
Sep 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dextral

New Head-Fier
Budget: ~150
Closed or open back: I don't understand about the difference. I just want the one that has good isolation.
Portable or non portable: Both, I don't want them to be heavy. Will be using it at my house most of the time though.
Sound preference: Bass that shakes my head but good crisp sound, also if a song has bass, I don't want it to flush out the vocals.
Durability:Decently good.
Isolation: Yes, I like hearing what I'm focusing on only.
Size: Not big, stylish, and not heavy.
Ear preference: Over ear, hate on ear. What will you be using as the source? (Iphone, computer, etc): Gaming, Dubstep, Movies and Music. Mostly on computer and phone.
Do you have an amplifier for the headphones?No.
Any other requests? I need them to be very comfortable because I will wear them for probably 10-12 hours a day.

If you need anymore information tell me! :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 11
For $150, you're not going to get everything that you're looking for, so you'll likely have to sacrifice some of the above. But there are some good headphones for your needs in that price range.

First, closed back headphones means that the ear cup is closed/sealed for isolation - vs - open back earcups are vented providing little/no isolation. Trying to satisfy most of your needs, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm).

Price: these new are about $160-$180, so you'd have to stretch your budget a bit. You could buy used to save some coin.

Portability/Durability/Size: these aren't exactly portable in that they don't fold down, and they are fairly large. But they are built like a tank, so you could put them in a backpack and not worry about them falling apart. They are a bit to big to walk down the street in (in my opinion), but they are perfect for home use, or taking them places to use. Style is subjective, and i like the way they look, but they are not mainstream stylish or sleek in any way.

Sound: these headphones have excellent bass. the bass is prominent and punchy, and not at all bloated. when a track doesn't have a lot of bass in it, the bass is less, when the track has tons of bass, you can feel it. the mids are a bit recessed on these cans, so vocals aren't in the forefront. the 80 ohm version should be fine without an amp, although they do benefit from one. i'm not sure how an iphone would play these, and at what volume you like to listen, but typically, phones won't drive these cans to loud levels. 

Isolation: these isolate very well.

Size/Comfort: these are true circumaurals, as they fit entirely over your ear. these are among the most comfortable headphones i've ever used (especially at this price point), and are perfect for long listening sessions.

edit: also, check out this thread. there are other recommendations in it for your budget/needs. although many of the cans listed there aren't as comfortable as the DT 770's, so decide on what qualities are most important to you.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627951/best-headphone-under-150

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 11
I was in a similar situation as you and I did a lot of research and ended up going with these. http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50

They're very highly regarded, I haven't received mine yet but this is just what I went with.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 11
As mentioned above the closest hp to your criteria would be the Beyer dt770 used here. Just shop the used forum often and you'll catch a pair there. 

gL!!

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
For $150, you're not going to get everything that you're looking for, so you'll likely have to sacrifice some of the above. But there are some good headphones for your needs in that price range.

First, closed back headphones means that the ear cup is closed/sealed for isolation - vs - open back earcups are vented providing little/no isolation. Trying to satisfy most of your needs, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm).

Price: these new are about $160-$180, so you'd have to stretch your budget a bit. You could buy used to save some coin.

Portability/Durability/Size: these aren't exactly portable in that they don't fold down, and they are fairly large. But they are built like a tank, so you could put them in a backpack and not worry about them falling apart. They are a bit to big to walk down the street in (in my opinion), but they are perfect for home use, or taking them places to use. Style is subjective, and i like the way they look, but they are not mainstream stylish or sleek in any way.

Sound: these headphones have excellent bass. the bass is prominent and punchy, and not at all bloated. when a track doesn't have a lot of bass in it, the bass is less, when the track has tons of bass, you can feel it. the mids are a bit recessed on these cans, so vocals aren't in the forefront. the 80 ohm version should be fine without an amp, although they do benefit from one. i'm not sure how an iphone would play these, and at what volume you like to listen, but typically, phones won't drive these cans to loud levels. 

Isolation: these isolate very well.

Size/Comfort: these are true circumaurals, as they fit entirely over your ear. these are among the most comfortable headphones i've ever used (especially at this price point), and are perfect for long listening sessions.

edit: also, check out this thread. there are other recommendations in it for your budget/needs. although many of the cans listed there aren't as comfortable as the DT 770's, so decide on what qualities are most important to you.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627951/best-headphone-under-150

Do you think those are better than the [size=12.727272033691406px]audio technica pro700mk2?[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]Those are what my friend recommended me.[/size]

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Definitely check out the Ultrasone models. Especially the HFI series to find something that suits your budget. At this price, HFI from Ultrasone is the way to go. - You'll get the bass.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Do you think those are better than the [size=12.727272033691406px]audio technica pro700mk2?[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]Those are what my friend recommended me.[/size]

I've never heard the [size=12.727272033691406px]audio technica pro700mk2[/size] so I can't comment on them, although from what I've read, people say they aren't the most comfortable headphone.

The best way to choose is to come up with a few options you are interested in and demo them before you buy. If you can't find a store to try them out, pick an online retailer with a good return policy. With Amazon, for example, you can purchase a few, keep the one you like, and return the others within 30 days no questions asked for a full refund (less shipping).

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 11
I've never heard the [size=12.727272033691406px]audio technica pro700mk2[/size]
so I can't comment on them, although from what I've read, people say they aren't the most comfortable headphone.

The best way to choose is to come up with a few options you are interested in and demo them before you buy. If you can't find a store to try them out, pick an online retailer with a good return policy. With Amazon, for example, you can purchase a few, keep the one you like, and return the others within 30 days no questions asked for a full refund (less shipping).

He actually told me to get the custom ones because I can control the bass on them well and they just might fit me better.

The Beyer Custom Ones... They look pretty good.

They seem really comfortable.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Get the Ultimate Ears UE700 or Triple-Fi 10. Great warranty, super comfortable tips, and sounds awesome.

Otherwise, I would second the Audio Technica if you want to go the headphone route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back