What headphones produce accurate sound?
Jun 25, 2017 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Randall baker

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find some comfortable headphones that have a frequency range of 15 hz, fit over the ear for comfort and sounds as accurate as possible with no trebble enhancements or boosting features that try to make your music sound better. If I'm listening to say binural beats and I use these headphones I want the pure sound that was recorded and ment to be played. Any recommendations?

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 32
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find some comfortable headphones that have a frequency range of 15 hz, fit over the ear for comfort and sounds as accurate as possible with no trebble enhancements or boosting features that try to make your music sound better. If I'm listening to say binural beats and I use these headphones I want the pure sound that was recorded and ment to be played. Any recommendations?
What is your budget for these headphones? Do you want open or closed hp?

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 32
As for a price range, I hear the higher price you pay for headphones the more there altered to make the sound experience better so that would defete the purpose of listening to binural beats. If you can find me good headphonea that have a closed back, go over the entire ear and offer 99.9999% sound accuracy then I dont care about the price as I want them to last

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 32
No headphone (or speaker) will come anywhere close to 99% accuracy. If you want the most accurate headphones, you need open-back. The most accurate headphone I've heard is the STAX SR-207. (I have not heard their higher-end models yet, but I have owned/heard plenty of far more expensive headphones from other manufacturers.)

Price and quality are not always correlated. Generally speaking, the more you pay, the better quality/accuracy you "can" get, but only if you choose wisely. There are certainly many expensive headphones that aren't worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 32
Okay let me change the question a bit lol I'm looking for closed back headphones to meditate and have no external sound leakage. I need the headphones to be 99 9999 percent accurate and by that I mean as close as physically possible if its not 99% then I can live with that. I just dont want the sound to be altered based on what the headphone manufacturer thinks will be better. So closed back, over ear, 10 hz for the frequency range with as accurate as possible sound that doesnt edit the trebble or base. I dont have a price budget and am willing to pay 400 and under for these headphones.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 32
Okay let me change the question a bit lol I'm looking for closed back headphones to meditate and have no external sound leakage. I need the headphones to be 99 9999 percent accurate and by that I mean as close as physically possible if its not 99% then I can live with that. I just dont want the sound to be altered based on what the headphone manufacturer thinks will be better. So closed back, over ear, 10 hz for the frequency range with as accurate as possible sound that doesnt edit the trebble or base. I dont have a price budget and am willing to pay 400 and under for these headphones.

Even the best open-back headphones are going to color the sound significantly compared to what the original sound was like, and closed-backs are going to be even less accurate. What you're looking for does not exist, sorry to say. You have to compromise.

The best thing you can do is learn how to use a parametric equalizer to make any headphone have a more accurate frequency response. (Or you can use software with presets for certain headphones, such as Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone.)

If it's $400 and under, that means you do have a budget.

My favorite closed-backs in that range are the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (a bit brighter than neutral) and the Focal Spirit Professional (a bit darker than neutral).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 32
So open back headphones produce more accurate sound? Okay what open back headphones would you recomend that go over the entire ear amd have a frequency range of 15 that delivered the highest quality sound possible? I font care about the price range as I want something that will last for a long long time with proper care.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 32
What is it your trying to listen too that you want 99.999 % accuracy?

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 32
So open back headphones produce more accurate sound? Okay what open back headphones would you recomend that go over the entire ear amd have a frequency range of 15 that delivered the highest quality sound possible? I font care about the price range as I want something that will last for a long long time with proper care.

Like I said, STAX. Even the entry-level models can extend down to under 10 Hz. You can look into their newer models as well, but used ones are available at better prices. (As low as a few hundred.)

You'll need to do some research to figure out which headphone and amp to go for. (Electrostatic headphones require either an electrostatic headphone amp or an electrostatic converter powered by a speaker amp.) Here are some threads you can start with.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-entry-level-stax-thread.676272/
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/

You say you don't care about the price, but are you sure? Because some of them cost thousands, and quite a few thousand more for a top-of-the-line amp.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 32
I'm sorry and I don't mean to offend but this sounds like some type of new age quackery.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 32
you are trying to listen to binaural beats, for meditation, correct? You are just looking to get accurate sound reproduction, not necessarily the best music listening experience. Music sounds better on open back headphones because it gives you a sense of space and makes the music feel more natural.....which is not what you are looking for. You want accurate sound reproduction with minimal external sound leakage and something that will last for a long time.
Sony MDR7506 is my recommendation. They are comfortable, incredibly durable, can be driven easily from nearly any source and are designed to be a relatively neutral, flat, accurate headphone. They have been the go-to studio monitor headphone for a long time for a reason. Do yourself a favor and get a set of Brainwavz oval pads for them, the stock pads aren't great, but they are easily replaced.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 32
I'm sorry and I don't mean to offend but this sounds like some type of new age quackery.
Oh, for sure this is some nonsense, but who are we to judge how somebody uses their headphones? I say, give him some accurate advice and wish him well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back