What headphones have you grown out of?
Sep 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 21
Grado RS1e. I loved them when I first got them, and they kinda introduced me to high quality sound. As I got more experienced in headphones, I quickly learned that other headphones pretty much do everything better (of course at an increased cost though)

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 21
Grado RS1e. I loved them when I first got them, and they kinda introduced me to high quality sound. As I got more experienced in headphones, I quickly learned that other headphones pretty much do everything better (of course at an increased cost though)
Never tried them but I’m a big grado fan and have owned ps500e, hemp, sr80e, sr325, sr225, iGrado and have enjoyed them all at different levels (225 the least)

still want the rs2e at some point

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 21
SE846. Won't forget them. My entry into high-end headphones. As I've upgraded over the years, still keep and enjoyed them, but at some point just kept noticing how not as resolving they were as my higher end headphones. Recently let them go for the IE 900, but they'll always hold a special place in my heart. Lots of enjoyment with them. Could still call their mids/vocals top-notch.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 21
Same here....I do still miss my semi-vintage RS1....but I hear what you are saying.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 21
HD650 - but I still keep them around :)

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 21
At the moment it would be the Denon AH-D5000. I once loved them to death
Nowadays It takes me too long to adjust to their boomy and bright tonality and when finally adjusted my ears will get fatigued in an hour or so.
There is something in the high mids and low treble that is grating. I don't mind ssssibilance when the ssss sound is emphasized like a lazy lisp, without a sharp peak. The D5000s however put some nasty force about it which results in a peak that resonates inside the closed cups so strongly that it rings my ears badly.
I will keep them though.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 21
At the moment it would be the Denon AH-D5000. I once loved them to death
Nowadays It takes me too long to adjust to their boomy and bright tonality and when finally adjusted my ears will get fatigued in an hour or so.
There is something in the high mids and low treble that is grating. I don't mind ssssibilance when the ssss sound is emphasized like a lazy lisp, without a sharp peak. The D5000s however put some nasty force about it which results in a peak that resonates inside the closed cups so strongly that it rings my ears badly.
I will keep them though.
Remove cups.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 21
What headphones did you admire and save up money for and love and then eventually grow out of and then move on to something even more expensive or better and would now never go back to?
I used to have the AKG 141 Monitor. The sound was great, better than any headphones I'd heard up until that point. But I wouldn't go back to them now, as they were uncomfortable to wear for long periods (being the on-ear type).

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 21
Probably my Focal Clears. I was super excited when I got them, enjoyed them, but have better alternatives now. There are many other, cheaper, examples but the Clears stand out to me.

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 21
Probably my Focal Clears. I was super excited when I got them, enjoyed them, but have better alternatives now. There are many other, cheaper, examples but the Clears stand out to me.
Standard clear is overhyped. It's not bad but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. I didn't find them much different than elex.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 21
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7B. I always wanted a pair, and got them for a good price. I’ve listened maybe 5-6 hours with them. I wasn’t as impressed as I hoped I to be. I still love my ATH-AWKT and my ATH-WP900, but the MSR7B just doesn’t interest me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back