What headphones have these characteristics?
Jul 20, 2005 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones that are good for heavy metal and rock... energetic I guess. Isolation and portability are not important to me, so I would generally prefer large open headphones. I also want them to be strong in these areas:

1) Soundstage
2) Detail
3) Comfort

I am tending to shy away from the Grado line because of their poor soundstage and comfort. Although I've never heard them, perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT990 is what I'm looking for? I generally enjoy headphones with good bass quality/extension, but the DT770-80s are closed and lack in the mids. Maybe the DT990 has better mids? Also, I'm a fan of the Sennheiser house sound, but I'm thinking of trying something a little different for heavy metal and such.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 6
"Energetic" headphones for heavy metal and rock and you like Senn house sound...

I would still say try the Grado RS-1. The RS-1 has decent soundstage and good detail. As for comfort, Headphile Zeta C-pads should address that issue.

If Grado really isn't for you, the ATH-AD2000 is also bright, forward-sounding, and energetic. It is less colored than the RS-1 and more neutral. It is also extremely fast and detailed. Good soundstage and excellent comfort.

I haven't heard the DT990.

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Look at AKG K271S. Good soundstage and detail. Very comfortable. If the detail is least important of the three mentioned characteristics, check out AKG K240S - these are the most comfortable headphones I ever tried and, IMHO, they have the best soundstage among the headphones in the < $500 price range.

If you can lower your requirements regarding soundstage and comfort, go for Grados. They simply have no soundstage - you're right in front of the performer (or with the performer on stage). But they excell in detail, are extremely fast and have strong, punchy bass. BTW, comfort is not as bad as one might think based on different posts. Once you get used to wearing them (it took me several weeks...), the "comfort" is acceptable (although still "light years" behind AKGs).

If you're wondering about my preference - I personally prefer Grados when listening to rock (and I have quite a few pairs of different headphones...).

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Fante7, I just picked up a set of the AKG K240S's. If you plan on coming to tkam's place later this summer you can give them a listen then, I'll have them recabled as well. Also, we'll have the HD650's there too, so you can see if you really like the Sennheiser sound as well, I'm sure that will help with your decision.

One other headphone you could consider would be the DT880's. I found that they were a tad bit brighter than the Sennheiser's, but not as bright as the Grado's. I guess it would depend on what else you're pairing them with, but liked them more than I thought I would, and they were comfortable too.

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Theoretically, you're probably right Elephas that I would love RS-1s with headphile zeta C-pads. This is not a realistic option for me pricewise at this time, but I'm still interested in the possibilities. On the other hand, maybe either of the AKGs you guys mentioned are what I'm looking for. I'll definitely have to give them a listen somehow. I'm also interested in the DT880 but for other reasons... I've heard that it's too "polite" for rock.

Any thoughts on the DT990 too?

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 6
SA5K. Listening to "Back in Black" by AC/DC with those cans is quite energetic to say the least. Great open can with big soundstage and one of the best detailed cans out there imho.

edit- extremely comfortable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back