What headphones have the strongest and relatively cleanest bass?
May 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bigbeard

100+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of Dt 990 premiums as my main all around headphones, which i love. I bought my sister beats studio 2.0 and am unimpressed with the bass on those (bought as a gift, even though i believe they are a waste of money).

I am looking for a good pair (200-350$) of headphones that have really strong bass, and don't suffer immensely in other departments. Any recommendations?

May 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 19
he-400. More actual impact and slam than lcd-2 while remaining tight, clean, and textured. Lush and musical, clean and detailed. Get some used ones for 220, do the fuzzor mod, grill mod, and get some black audeze vegan pads and you have the best $300 cans you can buy in my opinion.

May 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 19
I haven't heard them personally. but from an objective measurement standpoint the he-400 are the best open headphones for bass at their price point afaik.

I'd also look into sealed headphones such as the NAD Viso hp50 and focal spirit classics if you're prone to listening fatigue/tinnitus like I am, as the he-400 (again, according to their measurements) have a somewhat "analytical" sound signature in that they have a small peak at 1khz and lack the aggressive treble roll-off that manufacturers often implement to give their headphones a "smoother" sound. 

May 20, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Silver generally improves bass, and might clean up and brighten the phone cause it's actually got a dark tonality, and the treble spike shouldn't be an issue if you do the mods I mentioned. So id say go for it, not sure about the amp combo but I think it is your best option IMO.

May 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 19
thanks for the replies guys. 

I made quite a different decision today. instead of getting another mid range headphone, i decided to go with the HD800 (i hope i am impressed). I will most likely be selling my dt900 premiums.

May 20, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 19
Wow quite a different direction indeed. Just took delivery on some he-6's. Enjoy your summit-phones!

May 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 19
The HD800 have very clean and high quality bass, but they are no where close to being the strongest bass if that was what you are after. Considering the fact you really like the DT990, the TH900 might have better suited you as they are quite bass heavy and U shaped as well. Not saying they sound the same signature wise as the 990 though. The HD800 bass will feel quite weak and laid back compared to a dt990 afraid to say.

May 21, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 19
The HD800 bass is excellent quality and quite balanced and well extended for being an open headphone, but it probably won't impress.  HE-400 would have been the better buy (or  possibly even an HE-560 or HE-6).  TH900 might be what you were looking for as well.

If it's one thing that will impress with the HD800 it's the midrange and soundstage size.

May 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 19
I was looking at the th900, but decided I sort of wanted to replace my dt990, as opposed to get something that is different and heavier on the bass.

I am still quite curious what the th900 sounds like, but it might put me off since the sound stage is not as wide. Maybe one day I will buy that too, to satisfy what I originally intended - to have a set of wide stage headphones, and another of hard hitting. I'll keep you guys updated and let you know on Friday what I think of the hd800.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone know of any places in westchester county , ny, that demos the th900?

The higher end he- are not good for me, as I don't want to buy a new amp.

May 23, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 19
I got my Hd 800 today. If anyone is wondering, i feel like i fell in love with a woman for the first time. 

It, bar far, puts my dt990 to shame - it makes it sound like a cheap, closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back