What headphones have extraordinary sub-bass performance?
Feb 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tekunda

100+ Head-Fier
I am not a bass-head per se, but I would like to experience really extraordinary sub-bass performance.
The only headphone which immediately comes to mind are the Abyss 1266 TC, but they won't work for me.
So aside from above headphones, which other cans in the top league would you recommend for superior sub-bass qualities?

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 18
I would think for That you would have to prioritize an amplifier and DAC first.

If there is an amp or DAC that can’t produce 20hz, I haven’t encountered it. Plenty of headphones struggle there though.

No Amp or DAC will enable a headphone to change the fundamental limits of its driver‘s subbass output capability. At least, not without massive distortion and dangerously overdriving the headphones.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 18
I am not a bass-head per se, but I would like to experience really extraordinary sub-bass performance.
The only headphone which immediately comes to mind are the Abyss 1266 TC, but they won't work for me.
So aside from above headphones, which other cans in the top league would you recommend for superior sub-bass qualities?
I was impressed with the bass performance of the Audeze LCD-4. A closed back phone like a Fostex or older Denon will also deliver deep low bass. I'm extremely happy with my current setup (Susvara driven by a Hypex Class D amp) in terms of bass. Maybe not the very last word in going low, but very articulate and I don't feel like I'm missing any of the music on the low end.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 18
Final D8000, it's an earthquake with the right music.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Fostex TH900 & Fostex TH900 Mk2

That's it. That is the only high end headphone that can reproduce sub-bass rumble to a incredible extent!

There are others, but their sub-bass is more like a tickle.

Anything better & you would have to look at lower end headphones that usually sound terrible, but have amazing sub-bass.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Fostex TH900 & Fostex TH900 Mk2

That's it. That is the only high end headphone that can reproduce sub-bass rumble to a incredible extent!

There are others, but their sub-bass is more like a tickle.

Anything better & you would have to look at lower end headphones that usually sound terrible, but have amazing sub-bass.
Agreed with the th900mk2. Other than the Abyss 1266 Phi TCs out of a powerful headphone amp, the Fostex’s have the best sub-bass. And, the th900mk2s are so easy to drive. I have both (I’m a bit of a bass head :L3000: ).

The cheapest way to hear crazy sub-bass and have high quality with the rest of the spectrum, is to get the th900mk2s and pretty much whatever amp you want. The TCs are better, but it’s a much bigger investment.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 18
I have the Fostex 909 and heard the Abyss OG. I think the Sony Z1R has deeper sub-bass (due the wider driver), but none of these in my opinion equal the D8000.

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 18
I have the Fostex 909 and heard the Abyss OG. I think the Sony Z1R has deeper sub-bass (due the wider driver), but none of these in my opinion equal the D8000.
I’ve read mixed things about that. Some people love the D8000, while others don’t. Are you saying the D8000 has better bass than the 1266? If so, in what way? You have me curious :thinking:

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 18
I’ve read mixed things about that. Some people love the D8000, while others don’t. Are you saying the D8000 has better bass than the 1266? If so, in what way? You have me curious :thinking:
The Abyss 1266 (mind you, I've just listened the OG) has a wider but distant presentation, so in comparison the Final is forward and snappier, it's like a firecracker that explodes at one meter instead of three. But clearly, the music has to contain those sound levels, it's not a headphone that invents bass out of thin air. With the soundtracks it's impressive.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 18
Agreed with the th900mk2. Other than the Abyss 1266 Phi TCs out of a powerful headphone amp, the Fostex’s have the best sub-bass. And, the th900mk2s are so easy to drive. I have both (I’m a bit of a bass head :L3000: ).

The cheapest way to hear crazy sub-bass and have high quality with the rest of the spectrum, is to get the th900mk2s and pretty much whatever amp you want. The TCs are better, but it’s a much bigger investment.

I agree on the Fostex TH9xx cans. You can, slap Lawton chambers on 'em and they get even more nuts in the subbass. Currently running TH900 with Lawton Purpleheart chambers and it's the closest I've ever come to strapping subwoofers to my head.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 18
Looking for the same. All cans that seem to have a good bass seems to suck hard in FR.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 18
I agree on the Fostex TH9xx cans. You can, slap Lawton chambers on 'em and they get even more nuts in the subbass. Currently running TH900 with Lawton Purpleheart chambers and it's the closest I've ever come to strapping subwoofers to my head.
Thank you all for your responses.
I was not even aware that something like the Lawton chambers do exist. These chambers seem to be a really interesting option for the Fostex.
If I ever have the chance of buying the Fostex TH900 mk2 on the used market, I will not hesitate to give them a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back