What headphones do we actually own? 3 of 3 (>US$300)
Apr 6, 2002 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nicwix

Survey says....
To follow-up the survey "Best in class headphones - in every price bracket" , to which many Head-fi members contributed, it seemed to me that the simplest approach would simply be to ask which headphones people actually own.

Excluding the headphone-amp combos, we ended up with 52 recommended phones in the list.
Since each poll is limited to 20 choices, I have put together 3 polls:
1 of 3 (<US$100) - with 20 phones on the list
2 of 3 (>US$100, <US$300) - with 19 phones on the list
3 of 3 (<US$300) - with 12 phones on the list

You may select multiple options, to indicate all phones that you own. Please could everyone contribute (to all three polls, if you have the phones, of course) !!!

The pricing is indicative pricing - I have tried to use generally available street prices, rather than retail - depending on the make and phone, the difference can be huge (eg some Sony) or minimal (eg Grado)

I would encourage people to post the price they paid, as well as any competitive pricing (with details of where) - not just in US, but around the world.

Nix

Added later : Two questions have come up in replies:
1. "But what about my XYZ phones that are not on the list???"
2. "What about the phones I used to own?"

My responses to these questions:
1. Sorry - I did include every phone that was put forward for "Best in class headphones - in every price bracket" - I doubt that any not on the list would make (or deserve) top twenty status.
2. Got to keep it simple, hence phones you used to own are excluded (good chance another member may own them now anyway)
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 16
If you go by retail price, and I think that's what we're doing here, the AKG1000s retailed at $1000 I think.

Apr 6, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 16
all these are my dream phones...dont own any of them
frown.gif

hmmm...gotta save more money

btw if we are talking about street price then Grado RS-1 can be had new for about USD 520 and RS-2 for USD 380.

Apr 7, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Believe it or not, a fellow R10 owner has that Orpheus. I'm very jealous of him. I'll let him come forward if he likes.

markl

Apr 8, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 16
Yep - I own the R10 and the Orpheus and the W2002.

I've had the R10 since Jan 1999 and the Orpheus for less than a month.

We're moving home in the next few weeks so I haven't had all that time to relax and listen to the headphones.

I can say that the W2002 is improving with use! And that the Orpheus sounds great.

--Jatinder

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Jatinder

I don't think I'm the only one who would REALLY like to read a comparison/review of the Sony R10, W2002, and Orpheus at some point. No pressure though. I'm sure the move will be taking up a lot of your time, so definitely wait until whenever you feel that everything is broken in and you have some time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Damn AT, damn you! Why couldn't you come out with the 2002 in like 15 more years when I would have a job that would pay for it...Now I'll never be able to get one.

I have to say that the 2002 is the most beautiful headphone I have ever seen. (I don't like the look of the 100, to rounded for me.) I wonder if somwhow someday it will be reissued.

I'd gladly accept any donations from you guys so I can fulfill my dream of owning the 2002...No, ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back