What have your experiences been at Carnegie Hall?
Apr 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Netminder

100+ Head-Fier
I have performed twice at Carnegie Hall. Both were vocal performances with large ensembles. FUN FUN! It is a joy to perform there!!

Have you guys been to a performance or performed at the Hall?

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 12
been to. a zillion years ago. sarah vaughn and mel torme. it was ok.

a few years ago took my younger daughter (13 at the time) to hear her sax idol joshua redman. this of course being years after the renovations. it was amazing.

then the main act started to play. diana krall. my child looked at me like i used to look at my parents when they had the worst mor radio stations on in the car. we left very quickly as this was her night. i'm still laughing!

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then the main act started to play. diana krall. my child looked at me like i used to look at my parents when they had the worst mor radio stations on in the car. we left very quickly as this was her night. i'm still laughing!

Oh man. You must love your daughter very very very much.
biggrin.gif

I would have been tempted to pass over a twenty for the cab ride home.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have been tempted to pass over a twenty for the cab ride home.

You'll make a great dad someday, J.
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 12
I've always enjoyed performances at Carnegie Hall and Zankel Hall next door as well. I had one bad experience there. I went to see Nina Simone and Harvey Fierstein and his entourage were sitting behind me talking and making noise through the entire show. I was kind of shocked because he, as a performer, should know how important it is for the audience to pay attention during a show.

But every other show was great. At one Keith Jarrett Trio performance they played an encore that I still don't know the name of... I've been trying to find the song for years. I've since nearly forgotten what it sounded like, but if I heard it I would recognize it. I would try to get every song he's ever recorded, but who knows? Maybe he never recorded that particular song. I wish someone could help me, but I don't even remember what key the song is in, or the basic melody. I just remember the feeling.

It still frustrates me when I think I'll probably never hear it again.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Been there quite a few times before. The acoustics are horrible no matter where you sit. I've been in the stalls, box, circle, balconies, etc... (forgot what the proper terms are) No luck. For certain concerts, they resort to using microphones to amplify the sound. I hate amplified sound, especially for classical music. As a result, you don't hear the natural sound, which makes everything sound artificial.

That said, the performances were all of very high quality.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I played there (tuba) a few years ago in an orchestra that I was in and it was phenomenal. Was played Finlandia among others pieces, and the opening statement with the tubas and basses literally made the theatre rumble. It was such and awesome experience (and the group that I was in was also quite good, in terms of the musicians and the type of people that they were). It was truly humbling being there, and the hall itself was just beautiful.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 12
The most fun I've ever had at a concert was at Carnegie Hall when the Violent Femmes played there in March of 1986.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 12
I haven't been at it, but my friends have more than once because they are in Wind Ensemble in Leigh H.S. They really like it, and they should: going from California to New York is not an easy trip!

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Is it threadcromancy if I am posting because I did a search?

I was able to listen to a chorale concert in the big room this summer and it has given me a new appreciation for live music.  I sat there with my eyes closed and just drank it all in, even though the pieces chosen weren't to my tastes (two requiems in a row... sigh)

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Carnegie Hall is a very nice place in a good part of New York. Depending on where you sit, the sound is great. I know there are people out there who will say that their headphones sound better than at live orchestras but in a good spot, you can hear certain tones of orchestral instruments that can never be fully captured on recordings. It can also be a revelation too like when you hear certain textures of notes from a section of instruments that may have been drowned out in your recording. Classical music can have so many dimensions from a sound mix perspective. It should never be fully defined and this is part of the adventure of live music and I encourage it and it's great to see music performed there. The place has a lot of history and conveniently located for tourists staying in the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back