What have the best production quailty?
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
This is about quality that what, how the headphone is made. Think of how someone who doesn't know audio at all, cannot listen to it, but would decide the headphones are something special and premium. So it does not inculde anything sound related i.e. cables, drivers.

Here is what I came up.

Sony R10: Good quality wood, metal frame work, leather
Qualia 010: Carbon fibre, leather
Sony SA5000: Magnesium alloy frame, leather
Audio Technica L3000: Leather, wood, magnesium alloy frame, MORE leather
Audio Technica W5000: Very nice wood, magnesium alloy frame, leather
Audio Technica AD2000: magnesium alloy frame, silky smooth earpads
Audio Technica A2000X: Titanium case, magnesium alloy frame
Ultrasone Ed8: Very nice metal outer case, leather pads.

Any very high quality cans you can think of?

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 23
SkullCandy or Dr. Dre stuff.

Just kidding of course.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going into the cheaper realm, even the AKG K701 has a great build.

The plastic and the rougher velvet pad doesn't really ooze quality, it is solid but doesn't feel premium to average people.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 23
Pretty simple answer to this one, really.

How many old Stax phones from 20, 30, or even 40 years ago are still alive?

Quite a few, as it turns out. Properly cared for, they should live for decades. And I don't know of another manufacturer that turns out stuff of similar quality with similar consistency.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 23
Is this just a list of headphones with little or no plastic? The consensus might be that plastic equals cheap, but plastic is often the best material for the job.

Have you ever seen how wood expands and contracts depending on the humidity and temperature? Ever noticed how metal rings?

Good build quality can include plastic. It is tough, durable and makes acoustic sense.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 23
Mmm, I think I didn't make is clear enough. This thread isn't about the toughest headphone, which I would put a LOT of plastics ones in, HD25, SRH840, V6, CD900ST...

But rather, what general consumer expected to be premium headphones. Nothing to do with sound, but just the headphone uses of material and workmanship.

Surely HD800 is better than a SA5000 in most situation, but I doubt the someone would expect the HD800 be that much more expensive than a SA5000. (saying they didn't hear it)

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm, I think I didn't make is clear enough. This thread isn't about the toughest headphone, which I would put a LOT of plastics ones in, HD25, SRH840, V6, CD900ST...

But rather, what general consumer expected to be premium headphones. Nothing to do with sound, but just the headphone uses of material and workmanship.

Surely HD800 is better than a SA5000 in most situation, but I doubt the someone would expect the HD800 be that much more expensive than a SA5000. (saying they didn't hear it)

In that case the HE-5 wins hands down.. All grade a quality, & looks the part.. Puts to shame the HD800/PS1000 when it comes to material & workmanship.. The PS1000 just looks like a upgraded GS1000, which all the physical flaws of the GS1000.. & I'm just not feeling plastic in 1,400 headphones.. No matter how tough or great it is suppose to be..

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have u ever held HD800? Its extremely well built plastic headphone along with Japanese Alcantara pads which feels & smells
tongue.gif
luxurious

Although Edition 8 utilizes luxurious materials, it felt rather flimsy to me IMO... maybe because of its feather-light weight. GS-1000i also is a no-no with exception of its wood housing. Wonder how T1 ranks.... Beyer DT880 was surprisingly well built

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 23
Stax SR-007 (BL, A, MK2)
Stax 4070

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 23
When you consider workmanship, you have to think about the acoustic properties of materials. Wood, metal and leather are not necessarily ideal.

I would rather have a headphone with excellent acoustics and durability than metal for the sake of having metal. If the metal rings or the wood has internal inconsistencies (as all wood does, save for engineered particleboard) then I think less of the workmanship and design.

If you have to have certain materials for cosmetic reasons, then it is a compromised design.

Further, the materials science of plastics is quite advanced today. There is a good deal of chemistry and sophisticated testing. Further, injection molding is an art and science unto itself.

If you think those efforts are somehow less than putting a piece of wood on a midi lathe, you are dead wrong. Turning a cup from wood is relatively primitive. It could have been done 300 years ago. Advanced chemistry and computer simulation are something else altogether.

Sometimes plastic really is the best material if you want consistent sonics and you better believe the engineers and designers put a lot of effort into them. That is workmanship, even if it doesn't involve mahogany or aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back