What have I done! Where will it end?
Mar 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Stonewall

New Head-Fier
First post. What a great site!!! I've been lurking for the past month - reading old threads, etc. and learning. I order a HD595 several weeks ago but after a week I found they were on back order. I canceled the order and went ahead with the HD555. Just got them today - I'm very pleased - they sound great & very comfortable. Thanks for all of the great reviews. I relied on this forum for information - the only headphones I could find in our local stores were cheap or Bose Tri-Ports. I did try the TriPorts for one day - took them back the next day. The HD555 are much better than my old KOSS Pro4 from 25 years ago.

I'm listening directly from my CD player/changer headphone output - tried it though my reciever and found that I probably need to upgrade the receiver (background noise/hiss). Listened from the computer (sonic stage program and then through the receiver) but probably need to upgrade to a better soundcard/computer. I probably need to check on a headphone amp. I probably need to go and check on a bank loan now - where will it end!!!

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 8
40+ views and no welcome? Where's the etiquette?
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry 'bout your wallet.

It seems like only yesterday when I received my welcome to Head-Fi but more than a year has passed... and I'm still here. It doesn't end. Well, the gear purchasing may slow down, but end? Bah, that ain't the Head-Fi way, I say.
biggrin.gif
But seriously, what keeps me coming back is the community here.

Have fun and try to exercise fiscal discipline... but then again, maybe they are two mutually exclusive concepts.
evil_smiley.gif

You may want to write your public profile so people can get an idea of who you are.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 8
I can tell you where it will end. The money in your bank account + maximum credit limit = the cost of your next headphone system
icon10.gif

It's not that farfetched, really. I've been here for a while, and I've seen a lot of people come in with just some random question, get slightly interested in the hobby, invest a bit of money, then get more interested, invest more money, and pretty soon the whole savings account goes down the drain as they become obsessed with sound quality.

So, if in a year you'll find yourself with a Meridian G08, KGSS and Stax Omega IIs, don't tell us that we didn't warn you!

In any case, your ears will be happy.

Some advice for the beginning head-fi'er:

- Listen to the gear that you intend to buy, especially if you intend to spend a lot of money.
- Failing that, buy from a place with a good return policy
- Listen to a wide variety of different sound signatures before plunking down on an expensive final system. It takes time to figure out what your sonic preferences are. There are a lot of different sound signatures out there, and to a newcomer, pretty much all will sound good. However, down the road you'll start liking some more than others.
- Buy used to save money.
- But, buy from trusted people and from trusted brands.
- Attending a meet is one of the best ways to listen to new gear. But, hold on to your wallet! Tight!
- Don't take anyone's opinion for granted, since their ears are not your ears.

Oh yeah, and:

- If you get into electrostatic headphones, then RIP wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
Cat

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
It's not that farfetched, really. I've been here for a while, and I've seen a lot of people come in with just some random question, get slightly interested in the hobby, invest a bit of money, then get more interested, invest more money, and pretty soon the whole savings account goes down the drain as they become obsessed with sound quality.

So, if in a year you'll find yourself with a Meridian G08, KGSS and Stax Omega IIs, don't tell us that we didn't warn you!

Yup, happens quite often. The only way around it is to take a long break from head-fi. I tend to do that every once in awhile myself, just get sick of discussing audio, and it's amazing how much healthier my wallet is during those times. Best bet is to find some other forums you like and limit your time here (I'm giving advice I haven't taken myself, but oh well...).

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
(I'm giving advice I haven't taken myself, but oh well...).

Well, you know what they say... "Do as the wise man says, not as the wise man does!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 8
I haven't gone that far up the road yet as I'm still learning and low on funds...

But welcome and enjoy your stay.
You're wallet will get a heavy beating if you stay here too long... which everyone does.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 8
The hd555 (purchased together with a Total Airhead from HeadRoom) were my first head-fi purchases as well. I've since sold the TA, and now only use the 555's with the headphone output of my guitar amp when I practice.

I keep telling myself the end is near. "UE10 pros & I'm done"...at least I think so.

Peace,

Graz

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the welcome. I was able to listen to the 555s for about 3 hours last night. I'm very impressed on the sound and the quality of the headphones. The phones are very light weight and comfortable. I'm letting them burn in today while I'm at work. Looking forward to many hours of enjoyment - and I will have to watch my wallet - this could become addicting. Agains thanks for all of the help/information on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back