What happened to the Shure E4 group buy thread?
May 9, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 190
Kaboom... there goes a bunch of info
frown.gif

May 9, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Kaboom... there goes a bunch of info
frown.gif

I dunno... last I checked (about a week ago), the group buy probably wasn't going to deliver much better than $180 (if even that) while Headroom already has a presale for $200. I initially signed up for the group buy but opted out recently. I rather go with Headroom and pay a few dollars more for 30 days money back refund policy.

May 9, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I dunno... last I checked (about a week ago), the group buy probably wasn't going to deliver much better than $180 (if even that) while Headroom already has a presale for $200. I initially signed up for the group buy but opted out recently. I rather go with Headroom and pay a few dollars more for 30 days money back refund policy.

Last I heard, PTheD was saying he would be getting a substantially better price than $178 (the price offered by another member who got coupons from EarphoneSolution.com). That's for the E4c anyway.. The E4 we don't know about yet, but they would probably be around $180, since they will most likely be more rare/expensive.

May 9, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Last I heard, PTheD was saying he would be getting a substantially better price than $178

Thats correct.

And i just thought I'd mention that the e4cs and e4s are likely coming from different suppliers. So there will be no waiting till the e4s come out for people to get their e4cs.

Luke

May 9, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.Ashwood
Jude, Deleted the threads because they are instituting some guidelines for all group buys.

Keith Ashwood

Guidelines which don't exist yet (or maybe i'm totally blind). ?

Late edit: What I meant to say: Deleting a group buy because they suddenly want to introduce a rule, but not just yet, is nonsense. The group buy was established long before these guide-lines were mentioned. That would be the same as saying "no" and abort your wedding in church. It's his choice and I bet Jude was in a large dilemma, you can't please everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Guidelines which don't exist yet (or maybe i'm totally blind). ?

Nope, Jude hasn't worked them out yet.

May 10, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Deleting a group buy because they suddenly want to introduce a rule, but not just yet, is nonsense.

Seconded.

A sponsor posts with concerns that he may have to match others' pricing and suddenly all group buy threads are deleted. They should have been grandfathered in. There was a lot of work put into one of those group buys.

It looks like head-fi caters to its sponsors first and foremost. I don't particularly have an issue with that, but it does make me realize that this is more a business venture than a community.

May 10, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Seconded.

A sponsor posts with concerns that he may have to match others' pricing and suddenly all group buy threads are deleted. They should have been grandfathered in. There was a lot of work put into one of those group buys.

It looks like head-fi caters to its sponsors first and foremost. I don't particularly have an issue with that, but it does make me realize that this is more a business venture than a community.

I guess what it comes down to, is this site and everything on it does belong to Jude. If he decided he wasn't comfortable with some of the goings-on, it is his prerogative.
As for this being a buisness venture, I'm positive Head-Fi costs a hell of a lot more than it makes.

May 10, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 190
“but it does make me realize that this is more a business venture than a community.”

I doubt that. I bet Jude would be better off just burning the money instead of investing in this “business” venture.

Am I the only one concerned that some of these group buys were involving a lot of money. Sooner or later one is going to go bad and there will be a lot of finger pointing and complaining such as “Why didn’t Head-Fi do more to monitor these transactions”.

The least people should do is wait and see what Jude has to say and his reasoning. If you think it was premature to remove the group buy thread then it’s also premature to complain about what he’s doing or going to say since you don’t know what’s going on yet.

Mitch

May 10, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
The least people should do is wait and see what Jude has to say and his reasoning. If you think it was premature to remove the group buy thread then it’s also premature to complain about what he’s doing or going to say since you don’t know what’s going on yet.

I agree, and I believe that Jude will do what is best for Head-Fi, the sponsors and the members.

May 10, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“but it does make me realize that this is more a business venture than a community.”

I doubt that. I bet Jude would be better off just burning the money instead of investing in this “business” venture.

Am I the only one concerned that some of these group buys were involving a lot of money. Sooner or later one is going to go bad and there will be a lot of finger pointing and complaining such as “Why didn’t Head-Fi do more to monitor these transactions”.

Mitch

I seriously doubt Jude is in it for the money, but there must be some boundaries to protect sponsors from price slashing that may occur from group buys that may have a negative impact on Head-fi's sponsors. Jude, where do you stand on protecting a sponsor from such activity, even if the activity is legit?

As for finger pointing if a group buy goes to bad, i think just about every member here understands that Jude and the mods have nothing to do with it, it's between members and probably a good idea for Jude and the mods to avoid getting involved in groups buys just to steer clear of any issues that may arise from them. I know well enough that any transaction i take in on Head-fi involves me and the seller only.

“Why didn’t Head-Fi do more to monitor these transactions”.

Maybe Jude will address this concern in the group buy forum.
confused.gif

May 10, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 190
I posted about my concerns, which were catalyzed by the most recent E4c group buy. Here is what I posted (in a now-removed thread): Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
When PtheD coordinated a recent E4c group buy, I was more okay with it for the time being, because (a) he'd been around for a little while, and (b) I felt quite certain he wasn't affiliated with any of the dealers he was coordinating with. Even then, however, I knew that some guidelines were going to eventually be put in place for some reasons I'll get to as this post continues. What makes me uncomfortable about this one, and why I realize that, because of it, guidelines are going to have to be laid down, is because rskbug is a quite-new member, and had just nine posts prior to this thread. It's not my opinion that he's associated with the vendor he chose, but, let's face it, here's what this thread suggests: That anyone can do it. This thread is "How-to-make-a-quick-$2000-to-$3000-on-Head-Fi 101," and, given how easy this has proven to be to set up and promote, I know that we'll see more of this down the road if we don't create some guidelines; and I know that, as easy as this is, some dealers who don't give much of a hoot about Head-Fi, except for the sale, will simply arrange the group buys themselves by registering profiles to promote them on the Main Forums. (Again, though I don't feel that's the case here, this thread was a too clear a statement about how open that door really is now.) Though what follows isn't a perfect analogy, for those who'd argue that this wouldn't happen, a recent dealer/distributor (not anyone involved in these group buys) recently registered multiple profiles to tell everyone how satisfied he was as customers of himself (and this happens, as it's apparently too irresistible for some to not use for attempted promotion) -- now ask any moderator who's been here longer than a few months how many times they've seen it happen.

So why not just let anyone do it? Low prices for everybody, right? Who cares who's coordinating it? Who cares if it's someone associated with the company or not? (And, again, I don't think that's the case here.) Here's one important reason: if I let that happen, it seriously diminishes incentive from those Members of the Trade who can engage in and profit from group buy activity to ever advertise here or sponsor here, when volume promotions can be had for free on the Main Forums. I'm for the idea of group buys, and the savings that can be passed on to the customers, but if they're going to happen here, they're not going to happen exactly as they've happened here in this thread. What will the guidelines be? I'm working on this now, and would like to be able to do it in such a manner that would keep group buy offers open to sponsors and non-sponsors.

I bolded that last part now, for emphasis.

If, after this, you still don't understand the concerns, then I'm not going to argue or debate about it with you, as I think the concerns speak for themselves.

I have spoken about the proposed policy (a draft of which I'll post later, likely in the Members' Lounge or in the new Group Buys forum) with Members of the Trade (one sponsor and two non-sponsors), and so far the response has been good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back