What gauge wire for custom IEM cable? And also molded UE connectors in HK!
Apr 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chiefroastbeef

1000+ Head-Fier
Hurrow folks,

I am currently using Germania's cables, it has since been butchered by me with a right angled plug with 100ohm resistors, and molded UE connectors I have found here in HK for $7usd/pair (a GOLDEN find!). With the easy availability of the molded connectors, I want to make my own cable from the ground up, the only thing I have never done is braid anything, and I currently do not have a girlfriend to help me
duggehsmile.png
. I am looking at the Homegrown Audio 24awg 4 strand braided cables. But is 24awg too thick? Should I get some 26awg bulk wire instead? I sure would like some cryoparts silver wire, too bad they don't sell it!

Here is a photo of my current cable taken just now, man the molded connectors makes life so much easier:

dsc7510version2.jpg

Thank you very much for your input!

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 20
From what I've read, I think 26 AWG is probably the biggest you want with 28-30 AWG being preferred. I'd have to search to find a source (which I don't feel like doing), but those are the numbers stuck in my head.

If you have a steady supply for the IEM connectors, you might consider buying and selling some on the FS forum or eBay. I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who have been looking for those connectors with out any luck. A search in the DIY forum will bring up a dozen or more thread with people looking for them. I don't know how often you come back to the US, but you list Dallas as one of your locations, so if you might bring a box back since shipping from HK might be expensive.

EDIT: Or if otherwise you do not feel like getting involved in all that, I'm sure many would appreciate knowing where to get the connectors.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, I think 26 AWG is probably the biggest you want with 28-30 AWG being preferred. I'd have to search to find a source (which I don't feel like doing), but those are the numbers stuck in my head.

If you have a steady supply for the IEM connectors, you might consider buying and selling some on the FS forum or eBay. I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who have been looking for those connectors with out any luck. A search in the DIY forum will bring up a dozen or more thread with people looking for them. I don't know how often you come back to the US, but you list Dallas as one of your locations, so if you might bring a box back since shipping from HK might be expensive.

EDIT: Or if otherwise you do not feel like getting involved in all that, I'm sure many would appreciate knowing where to get the connectors.

Thank you for your input Mesasone, I may go with 28awg then.

Yea, I thought about bringing some back and shipping it to folks, I've seen those connectors on custom cables made from China, sold here in HK. I've only found the molded connectors sold alone a few days ago, needless to say I wet myself, and immediately bought a pair. I come back to the US for a month in July, however, shipping from HK isn't too bad, I can send a bunch to someone in the US, and they can send them to others interested.

Believe me, these babies are GOLDEN. They are super durable, can easily be reused, and plugs into my Freqs well, before these connectors I had to hotglue my diy connectors to the Freqs so they wouldn't fall out. My right earphone actually dropped on the floor once because it was disconnected, the faceplate came off, and there is a crack in the housing, luckily it still works like new.
redface.gif

I will buy another pair tonight and take some pictures of them disassembled. I've walked in literally 20 audio shops (specializing in head/earphones) the past couple of years, only yesterday did I come across this in a small shop inside an electronics bargain mall.

They have pair for the custom UEs, where a part of the inner housing is protruded outwards to fit into the UE customs. Then there is the normal UE version where the inner housing is indented into the outer housing for the tf10, superfi etc.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hga wont really work for iem cable.

Care to explain? If not HGA, is there anything better than Navship's stuff?

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea why one keeps using the HGA stuffs to make headphones cables. They are stiff, microphonic like heck and are only meant to use as interconnects.

People are using it because kung fu head-fi master-flexes like yourself ain't sharin' the secret.
smily_headphones1.gif
What wires do you use Jedi?

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 20
I bought some of the 28 AWG 19 stranded wire from navships... was only available in bright orange. I'll let you guys know how it is once it shows up... hopefully before the end of the week.

Oh, and I would definitely be interested in a few of the IEM connectors if you decide to bring a few back.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 20
Navships isn't very flexible. I think it's largely based on the insulation used. Commercial IEMs have wires with a nice soft rubbery coating, whereas navships and such are a harder material. If anyone knows where to find that kind of soft wire that would be awesome.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some of the 28 AWG 19 stranded wire from navships... was only available in bright orange. I'll let you guys know how it is once it shows up... hopefully before the end of the week.

Oh, and I would definitely be interested in a few of the IEM connectors if you decide to bring a few back.

He will ship a pair for $8usd shipped with a stamped envelope to the US. And $7usd per pair after that I think. Be sure to specify whether you want the UE Customs (pic below, with protusion) or the regular UE connectors.

His email is derek [at] discovery-global.com

dsc7516version2.jpg

img00001201004212006.jpg

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

what type of wire you looking for / awg ?

Hi momomo,

I am looking for the highest grade wire, SPC or silver in clear teflon. I would love to try that Twag wire at cryoparts, but they don't sell it to diyers as far as I know. What wire do you use?

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

twag is unimpressive imo. hum whats your price range per foot ?

Thanks for the reply momomo, I don't have a price range, around $3 or so I guess, since that is around the same price as the HGA stuff I was looking at. I appreciate your help very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back