What formats beside SACD for high quality audio?
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I resisted the digital formats for a lot longer than most people and now I see I don't know anything about what format discs are available for high res audio.

I read there is such a thing as DVD-A but that the format is dead. I have a few SACDs and I understand this is a niche that seems to be healthy if somewhat small.

Are there BluRay and DVD audio discs or is everything on those types of discs audio & also video?

I am not into videos and am just looking for good quality audio. I tend to prefer studio to live music for everything but jazz.

Any info would be appreciated thank you.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 6
You should just keep right on resisting them then : )

It's hard to recommend SACD when there's file-based DSD. I'm not even embarrassed to admit I've never even heard of Blu-Ray Audio...and I work at a 2ch shop LOL.

I apologize for skirting your questions but in this scenario I feel better knowing you've at least considered going file-based.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 6
I like having real media and many times the downloads cost as much as a disc. And it's possible to buy used discs too even cheaper. For the same price I prefer to get a disc with a booklet, artwork etc. Sometimes it's not possible so I buy the downloads.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Downloads cost money? You're doing it wrong : )

I can relate, I was vinyl only for over 10 years and would bock at the thought of jumping formats - physical meda blah blah - but after selling off a $20K vinyl/hp rig I couldn't be happier with my $4k dap/iem solution. Switching to file-based was best move I could've made in the hobby and I was a staunch vinyl supporter over digital.

Anyway looks like it's not for you. Just grab an old SACD player and enjoy yourself.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Downloads cost money? You're doing it wrong : )

I can relate, I was vinyl only for over 10 years and would bock at the thought of jumping formats - physical meda blah blah - but after selling off a $20K vinyl/hp rig I couldn't be happier with my $4k dap/iem solution. Switching to file-based was best move I could've made in the hobby and I was a staunch vinyl supporter over digital.

Anyway looks like it's not for you. Just grab an old SACD player and enjoy yourself.

I think since I grew up with record albums, singles and some 78s it's just kinda impersonal to get a file and say this is music. Yeah, with good equipment it sounds great but something is missing for me. Anyway my Oppo finally arrived and I waited too long and coughed up far too much for it so I'll be damned if I don't make it worse and spend some money on SACDs :wink:

Just wondered if there was anything on BluRay or DVD I should check out also. Thanks :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
I resisted the digital formats for a lot longer than most people and now I see I don't know anything about what format discs are available for high res audio.

I read there is such a thing as DVD-A but that the format is dead. I have a few SACDs and I understand this is a niche that seems to be healthy if somewhat small.

Are there BluRay and DVD audio discs or is everything on those types of discs audio & also video?

I am not into videos and am just looking for good quality audio. I tend to prefer studio to live music for everything but jazz.

Any info would be appreciated thank you.

DVD-A is the audio only DVD. Use my OPPO BDP-93 with my STAX setup for DVD-A and Blu-ray content - and use the surround track downmixed to stereo via OPPO configuration when surround track is available.

Blue Man Group 'Audio' DVD-A (DTS/Dolby digital 24bit/48kHz) is a good one as is their 'The Complex' DVD-A (24bit/96kHz). Diana Krall 'When I look in your eyes' DVD-A (24bit/96kHz) is very nice as well. An SACD that is great is Mariah Carey's '#1's'... very expensive, even used, but sound quality is impeccable on it. Only Blu-ray Audio release I have is Nirvana's self titled album... sounds REALLY good. Most of my music Blu-rays are live performance concerts (Jeff Beck's 'Performing this week...Live at Ronnie Scott's' release is excellent.)

Much prefer DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio to SACD for most everything (excluding Mariah's '#1's'). Also prefer XRCD24 to SACD...a good XRCD24 release I like is Hiroko Kokubu's 'New York uncovered' album.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back