1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What formats beside SACD for high quality audio?

Discussion in 'Music' started by gimmeheadroom, Jul 15, 2018.
  1. gimmeheadroom
    I resisted the digital formats for a lot longer than most people and now I see I don't know anything about what format discs are available for high res audio.

I read there is such a thing as DVD-A but that the format is dead. I have a few SACDs and I understand this is a niche that seems to be healthy if somewhat small.

Are there BluRay and DVD audio discs or is everything on those types of discs audio & also video?

I am not into videos and am just looking for good quality audio. I tend to prefer studio to live music for everything but jazz.

Any info would be appreciated thank you.

2. natemact
    You should just keep right on resisting them then : )

It's hard to recommend SACD when there's file-based DSD. I'm not even embarrassed to admit I've never even heard of Blu-Ray Audio...and I work at a 2ch shop LOL.

I apologize for skirting your questions but in this scenario I feel better knowing you've at least considered going file-based.

3. gimmeheadroom
    I like having real media and many times the downloads cost as much as a disc. And it's possible to buy used discs too even cheaper. For the same price I prefer to get a disc with a booklet, artwork etc. Sometimes it's not possible so I buy the downloads.

4. natemact
    Downloads cost money? You're doing it wrong : )

I can relate, I was vinyl only for over 10 years and would bock at the thought of jumping formats - physical meda blah blah - but after selling off a $20K vinyl/hp rig I couldn't be happier with my $4k dap/iem solution. Switching to file-based was best move I could've made in the hobby and I was a staunch vinyl supporter over digital.

Anyway looks like it's not for you. Just grab an old SACD player and enjoy yourself.

5. gimmeheadroom
    I think since I grew up with record albums, singles and some 78s it's just kinda impersonal to get a file and say this is music. Yeah, with good equipment it sounds great but something is missing for me. Anyway my Oppo finally arrived and I waited too long and coughed up far too much for it so I'll be damned if I don't make it worse and spend some money on SACDs :wink:

Just wondered if there was anything on BluRay or DVD I should check out also. Thanks :)

6. VRacer-111
    DVD-A is the audio only DVD. Use my OPPO BDP-93 with my STAX setup for DVD-A and Blu-ray content - and use the surround track downmixed to stereo via OPPO configuration when surround track is available.

Blue Man Group 'Audio' DVD-A (DTS/Dolby digital 24bit/48kHz) is a good one as is their 'The Complex' DVD-A (24bit/96kHz). Diana Krall 'When I look in your eyes' DVD-A (24bit/96kHz) is very nice as well. An SACD that is great is Mariah Carey's '#1's'... very expensive, even used, but sound quality is impeccable on it. Only Blu-ray Audio release I have is Nirvana's self titled album... sounds REALLY good. Most of my music Blu-rays are live performance concerts (Jeff Beck's 'Performing this week...Live at Ronnie Scott's' release is excellent.)

Much prefer DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio to SACD for most everything (excluding Mariah's '#1's'). Also prefer XRCD24 to SACD...a good XRCD24 release I like is Hiroko Kokubu's 'New York uncovered' album.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018