What Format is Your Music?
Apr 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #196 of 216
Most of my music is ALAC, but once my turntable comes in, it'll be time for some vinyl increase.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #197 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cassettes are still fairly common in the metal world all 4 of these were released within the last year (the nunslaughter album is a reissue and the original CD and LP are not easy to find) and that's not even scratching the surface of cassette only metal releases... now if it's because of nostalgia or something else i don't know...

That's definitely not nostalgia. I think it's more a matter of technology as a differentiator. People deliberately adopt an obsolete technology to differentiate themselves from others who aren't part of the same scene. The fact that someone would go to the trouble of getting a cassette deck is an indication of allegience and a measure of how big a fan of the music he or she is.

It reminds me of the people who owned turntables during the period when vinyl was nearly extinct. Many obscure bands put out 7" singles, and obviously one had to have a turntable in order to play them. So owning and playing vinyl was a way to set oneself apart from the CD-buying masses. With vinyl now enjoying a modest but significant resurgence, it is less of a differentiator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]but i'd bet most of the "indie" labels that article you linked to references are probably metal labels (which prefer to use the term underground to separate themselves from the the mental image people get when they hear "indie")

That's an interesting point, and I think it reinforces my argument about differentiation. Ultimately, technology choices can be as effective as clothing or hairstyle or slang in defining membership in a group or class. And yeah, I definitely get your point about metal listeners not wanting to be lumped together with Williamsburg hipsters.

Edit: Heh. I just looked at my avatar and smiled.

May 4, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #198 of 216
My music collection has gone from CD to 100% FLAC for convenience (computer & Fuze). However, I use 192KB/s VBR MP3s with my cell phone. (the speaker is the size of my thumb nail, gemme a break.)

May 7, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #201 of 216
My source preference is CD (no downloads), but the majority of listening is via my portables:
Atrac3+ HiSP/352kbps for the Atrac stuff & AAC350VBR for the flash player. Any files maintained on my PC are (generally) temporary.

May 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #203 of 216

Quote:
Vinyl, SACD, DVD-A, Red Book, AAC, FM broadcast.

Embrace diversity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Love that sig!!!

May 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #205 of 216
90% ALAC

9% 320 AAC

1% 128k AAC (purchases from iTunes in a fit of desperation for a particular song)

May 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #208 of 216
CD for my home system. Computer stuff consists of WMA Lossless and mp3s between 192-320 kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back