What exactly is "TOO LOUD"?
Oct 2, 2002 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Hi All:

I've been looking all over the place for information about what constitutes excessive volume.

I know the decibel levels to be wary of (90+ in short bursts, 80+ for longer listening). However, what does this mean, exactly?

Can someone inform me about what 80+ decibels actually is? I mean, is it louder-than-average conversation volume? Tipped-over china cabinet?

Somebody throw me a bone here....
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Yup, 80 dB is louder than average conversation volume - singing in the shower or the digestive results of a can of baked beans should reach about 80 dB. Tipping over a china cabinet would be more like 90 dB (+). So for longer listening (1 hour (+)) it would be wise to stay below 80 dB.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 11
From a listening, not hearing damage, perspective, I consider too loud to be when the sound level as perceived by the listener on playback is louder than the sound level from as it would have been perceived if one were in the location from which it was recorded.

Actual location or engineer's simulation as may be appropriate.

Not taking into account other practical limitations, like amplifier distortion or disturbing others.

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 11
Haha, good call, Lou.

Does anyone have any equipment to measure SPL levels out of headphones? I'd be interested in hearing measurements that we could duplicate at home to get a good feel for how loud things really are. For example, choose a common headphone and source/amp and give a reading -- c.f., "Sony MDR-V6 straight out of Panasonic SL-CT570 with volume control at five is 60dB."

I really don't have much of a conception of how loud, in dB terms, my music is, and something like that could really help.

kerleybonto

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 11
You have to factor in what sort of music/sound/recordings you listen to - music & recordings with large dynamic range or very little D-range.

I would much rather listen for a shorter period (2-3hr) at a louder (and more believable) level than listen at background levels all day on overly polite sounding euipment. i probably listen only for a couple hours on average but get more out of that time.

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Does anyone have any equipment to measure SPL levels out of headphones? I'd be interested in hearing measurements that we could duplicate at home to get a good feel for how loud things really are.

Yeah, I have a RatShack digital sound level meter that I use when I mix live shows. Don't have time now, but this evening I will post on how to use one to determine how loud your phones are.

--BeeEss

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 11
I try to listen below 75db (and i check it every once in a while to make sure i'm not toughening up the old eardrums) I've noticed since i started using headphones a lot, i am beginning to not be able to hear the ultra high frequencies i used to be able to hear, like the TV or CRT monitor whine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back