What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 4, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #106 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. Nice way to give back to the community that gives him most of his business. He lost out when he wouldn't balance my SA5000.. (to be fair, headroom wouldn't do it either) I still have no clue why someone would hurt their own business by only recabling certain headphones. & a max length of 6FT? I don't understand why he limits the length?

I understand completely why a small business operator would be selective about the business he accepts. Slow growth is ideal, fast growth will kill you faster than no growth. As to longer than 6ft cables, he'll definitely do it.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #107 of 206
I'm a little flabbergasted at the people who asked Larry for DIY advice, and expected a different response than the one he gave. He makes it very clear on his site, especially the FAQ portion where it says:

"Sorry, it took too long to figure out details of products to give out information about something I produce or other DIY help. I am not interested in giving DIY tips.

And also this part:

"Do questions bother you… Sometimes! If they are about cloning, DIY, something that could have been read easily on this site (or forum) or in extreme amounts."

I'd be a little more than annoyed if after all that, someone goes ahead and says "Hey, can you give me some DIY advice?" anyways.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #108 of 206
I don't have any issues with his choice not to discuss his techniques and implementations.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #109 of 206
I ran across this the other day, maybe you know it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Meh, I bought a Headphiled pair and did not like the sound. Not saying they were better or worse than stock, just not my liking. So I sold them here.

And if you are wondering how Larry does his mods, you are quite welcome to disassemble your own head set. I didn't see a EULA with my headphones. You can also post pictures and what not on your own website. Head-fi.com really has no obligation to any of us (unless the "any of us" includes the owners).

You can do whatever you want inside the law AND your own personal morals. Larry can do the same.

Its a comical read of these 11 pages. From Bill Gates to Coca Cola to John Grado and even OPEC! Wow! I am so glad that I don't drink with a lot of you dudes. You'd talk an ear off and I couldn't keep up with the tangents!

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #110 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have no clue why someone would hurt their own business by only recabling certain headphones. & a max length of 6FT? I don't understand why he limits the length?

i understand but he can do(and not do) whatever he wants.. maybe he doesnt like to recable certain headphones..

maybe you are just spoiled by alex. that guy does just about everything :p

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #111 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And again, there are examples so numerous I don't have to bring them up of products that you don't need intimate knowledge of to just enjoy. If you don't feel like you're getting enough value for your dollar based on what you know about the product it's your choice not to buy.

You always have the option NOT to buy anything. But in this case, if you heard and wanted a Darth, you'd have no option BUT to got to him because of his business practices and frankly nobody offers a similar product with the like sound sig.

Like said, people will make similar products, there's no NEED for any condescending words, just make your product that much better, or of the highest quality and great customer service (Like Vinnie of RWA is doing) and you should have nothing to worry about, right? I don't see Vinnie sweating over anything...

Nobody NEEDS intimate working knowledge of how the Torque Shift System on the MV Agusta Tamburini works either, that it just acts like a slipper clutch(better actually), and you should "enjoy it's innovative-ness and it just works, and works well". But that's NOT the case, if you're spending your hard earned money, you deserve to know What you're spending it on, period. Whether you want the knowledge of how it works or not, atleast the information is out there if you changed your mind. And it doesn't get much more proprietary than that system.

Ultimately, if your technically savvy person or just interested in how it works, even if you're not, it's just bad consumer practice to buy into something blindly without having any sort of option of knowing or learning how it works, or how it's better or different from another product. How often do you buy things without first doing research? If you come to the conclusion of "I've just read it's an improvement and there have been tweaks done" without any other basis, that's a pretty horrible.

It's of your own morality if you decide to make and sell a clone. But honestly, even if you did, and used different wire internally, it's not a clone anymore. Some people actually prefer the sound of silver over copper and vice versa...so in the end, it's not a clone, just a variation, and depending on who you ask, is better or worse.

There's really no way around it. Yeah in one respect, trade secrets should be kept secret, but there really is no trade secret here, ala special formulated solder, or custom formulated cable, or specially machined parts. It's a matter of what parts were used and assembled together, much like that of a DIY amp.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #112 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little flabbergasted at the people who asked Larry for DIY advice, and expected a different response than the one he gave. He makes it very clear on his site, especially the FAQ portion where it says:

"Sorry, it took too long to figure out details of products to give out information about something I produce or other DIY help. I am not interested in giving DIY tips.

And also this part:

"Do questions bother you… Sometimes! If they are about cloning, DIY, something that could have been read easily on this site (or forum) or in extreme amounts."

I'd be a little more than annoyed if after all that, someone goes ahead and says "Hey, can you give me some DIY advice?" anyways.

Agreed. If, out of nowhere, that was his reply then I could understand some of the complaints. But he spells it out quite clearly on his website, so expecting anything different is just asinine.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #113 of 206
"Sorry, it took too long to figure out details of products to give out information about something I produce or other DIY help. I am not interested in giving DIY tips."

Yeah, I mean come on, could it be any clearer than that? He already clearly stated his stance.
And for God's sake, no one is putting a gun to your heads and making you guys go and buy his headphones. If you don't like it, just move on already.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Respect his right to keep whatever secrets he wants to. Its his creation.
cool.gif

Quit whining and go buy something else.
confused.gif

My post is not directed at anyone in particular. Its just addressed to those who have a severe itch on their bums regarding Larry's business practice/principles. Just move on already, quit whining and complaining if he doesn't want to divulge any info.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #116 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And also this part:

Perhaps I'm alone, but I don't go to every page on a site...almost never the FAQ unless it's by accident. I'm just not used to be dealing with businesses that weren't friendly to people wanting simple advice...

Live and learn I guess...

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #117 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I'm alone, but I don't go to every page on a site...almost never the FAQ unless it's by accident. I'm just not used to be dealing with businesses that weren't friendly to people wanting simple advice...

Live and learn I guess...

That's really funny, because if I were in your position the first page I would've jumped to is the FAQ. At any rate, threads like these are pretty strange to me; never would I have thought that a respected (I think? A lot of people in this thread seem to have some bad blood with Larry) vendor would get dogpiled and crapped on like this. Head-fi can get down right nasty at times!

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #118 of 206
Wow, that sucks...he won't recable his own product even if you PAY for it? Why?

Call me old fashioned, but I think great customer service goes a long way...even in this day and age, it's really what separates most business' now with all these "lower prices here!" ads and marketing.

In anycase, it's nice to see this thread wasn't locked down like typical pre-outtage fashion. Either the mods are busy (
tongue.gif
) or things really have taken a turn for the better as far as some topics of open discussion go, kudos!

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #119 of 206
I understand his position that what he does is "art". I understand his perceived need for secrecy. I understand that he operates in a small, niche market and that this is his livelihood. I also understand that he would likely be inundated with DIY advice requests were he to start to accept them. All that being said, I look at a user like Tangent or Pete Millett and I see someone who is doing a way better job of being in the community than Larry. Even major players like Vinnie and John Grado are doing it better. When you refuse to repair your own (handcrafted) products and instead leave the customer to find a third party solution, you're begging to have someone undercut you. The idea that we as a community should stand behind him based solely on his product and his customer service to people who have already paid is, to me, absurd.

I retracted my Deal 18 order. I'm sure they sound phenomenal, but I'm paying a real premium for a service I can't fully trust in. Thanks, Head-Fi, for taking care of me yet again.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #120 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that sucks...he won't recable his own product even if you PAY for it? Why?

Not true... I wouldn't recable that pair in their current condition. Putting a band-aid on something that obviously has problems is not my style. The driver face mesh was torn off by the dog! Who knows what other hidden problems they may have. Just putting a cable on wasn't going to happen though me... Fix them right, isn't that the only way to go?...

Leaving those like that would not be prudent IMO... would you want to be the one buying those used if the seller didn't disclose that? How can I know what the person would do with them if I just bandaged them? Fixing them half baked is not something I would do...

When you add up the raw parts of drivers, pads, headband pad, foam and possbily other damaged parts, it's a no-brainer to replace the whole shell. This is what I offered to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back