What equipment would I need to hear the difference between a 320kbps file and a losless file like FLAC?
Jan 19, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #91 of 100
  I did this in both Logic Pro and Pro Tools 10 which I use daily for work. I did match them in levels(volume) when the level is then changed the cancelation then decreases. So how is this not null balancing?

Yep that is. From some of your other posts it seemed to me that you didn't do this. Sounds like work is fun. What do you do that you get to use these DAW's daily?

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #93 of 100
  Lol making sure we were talking about the same things. I'm an audio engineer, so I get to play with sound stuff all day :D

I used to work with electronic music synthesizers when they were all analog and you made your own sounds as opposed to all presets and samples. I still have some ARP and Moog Synthesizers.
What cans do you use for monitoring?

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #94 of 100
  I used to work with electronic music synthesizers when they were all analog and you made your own sounds as opposed to all presets and samples. I still have some ARP and Moog Synthesizers.

I have a few buddies that still use analog synths, I personally hate that stuff lol. I use Q701s, but mostly use actual speakers(Dynaudio, genelec, and Equator mostly)

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #95 of 100
He SAID he could detect differences and posted up copy/paste text that SUGGESTED he could. No one ever verified it.

To be fair. They did give him the benefit of the doubt on Hydrogen Audio. Which is the gold standard. If I remember correctly two experts with impeccable  credentials repeated his results. With extreme difficulty.  The incident also stirred up interest. Several devs tried messing with settings in LAME to try and find a solution which would catch him out.

Then again he did blot his copybook when he tried the same trick on gearslutz. He claimed to be able to hear a difference between standard WAV and the same file upsampled to 192/24 and 96/24. He published his results before discovering that with the drivers he was using  the files were being resampled. So he was apparently able to distinguish a 192/24 rip prepared in advance from one resampled on the fly. He did correct his technique and republished. Again successfully. The damage was done though and he seems to have gone to ground.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #96 of 100

I have a few buddies that still use analog synths, I personally hate that stuff lol. I use Q701s, but mostly use actual speakers(Dynaudio, genelec, and Equator mostly)

What is it that you hate about analog synths? It is easy for a musician to manipulate the controls and patches of a subtractive analog synth and know what to expect. There's not all that much you can do with sampled sounds. FM synthesis is not human friendly as far as modifying souns.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #97 of 100
  What about the boy in China that can see in pitch black?

Lei's talk about how trustworthy Chinese news sources are sometime....

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #98 of 100
Jan 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #99 of 100

What is it that you hate about analog synths? It is easy for a musician to manipulate the controls and patches of a subtractive analog synth and know what to expect. There's not all that much you can do with sampled sounds. FM synthesis is not human friendly as far as modifying souns.

Just not for me. Using different waves to create sounds is just meh to me 

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #100 of 100

Just not for me. Using different waves to create sounds is just meh to me 

That's called additive syntheses. There are other different topologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back