What does/will it take to satisfy you??? (long)
Apr 25, 2004 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
Let's face it folks, there is an epidemic of mammoth proportions at this site: I'm talking about upgraditis, of course!
biggrin.gif

When I first started visiting this site in December, I was just looking for some information about Grado headphones. I remembered hearing they were good when I was searching for closed phones about a year ago, and I stumbled upon this site. I searched for hours, and gobbled up information about sr-60s. When I finally got them I thought, "Hey, these sound pretty darn good!" I was in love with them. But the damage had been done: I had gotten hooked on Head-Fi.

Next to come was my headphone amp. I couldn't tell any difference in sound, but the convenience was worth it. Then I found I might like a different "flavor" of headphone better. I started thinking about better cans. I wanted a bigger soundstage, more comfort, and a more laidback sound; the k401/k501 caught my eye. When I saw k401s in the FS forum, I jumped on them. How could I lose for $65?

I loved them, more than I ever did my Grados. I started listening to music more than I ever had before. When I heard about the Toshibas, I jumped on the oppurtunity. Only $70 for a great source? I'm there! It took my music to a whole new level, where I still am.

But before now, I was always looking at better cans, and thinking about when I could upgrade my system. Now I am satisfied. I intend to uprgrade, of course, (dt880s maybe?
tongue.gif
) but I don't feel the need to.

So, after all that rambling, here is my question: How bad do you have upgraditis, and what did it take to cure you? When did you feel like you didn't have to upgrade for an extended period of time (at least a few months)?

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 46
i think source will always haunt me, i'lll never be able to get the best source. i'm pretty happy with my hd600's and my Pimeta, but i'm always on the look out.
essentially, if the price is way too right, i'll upgrade, which has been the case in all my purchases thanks to some classy headfiers!

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 46
Well, I for one have come to the rather odd decision that the only way any source will satisfy me is if I build it myself. Which means I have a project for this summer.
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 46
I'm done. Though I could go out and buy an R-10, Omega 2, PS-1, or any one of those high end headphones right now I don't feel a need to do so. I know there's stuff out there that makes my setup sound like a dollar store special and I've heard them at meets, but I've hit the point where I don't care about it anymore. I have my music, it sounds good, I'm happy, end of story.

Now if someone wants to give me their megabuck setups I'm not going to turn it down, but like I say, I'm not buying anything for the foreseable future.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
So, after all that rambling, here is my question: How bad do you have upgraditis, and what did it take to cure you?

I had a medium case of it, but what cured me was running low on money (expendable income, that is). Money can be tight these days, and I've no desire to really live on Top Ramen
tongue.gif
Quote:

When did you feel like you didn't have to upgrade for an extended period of time (at least a few months)?

When I reached a level that to my ears (and mind) qualify as "budget hi-fi" -- in other words, I feel I've reached somewhere around the point of diminishing returns, where upgrading costs quite a bit of cash for relatively subtle improvements. For the moment, that's far enough for me. When I get sick of the sound of my gear, I stop listening to it for awhile instead of upgrading... it has a similar effect, when I come back to my gear it sounds incredible again.

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 46
As much as I hate admit this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't think it'll ever end for me. There's always going to be something better and I'll just have to gave it!
biggrin.gif

When I first got here, I was just looking for general info on some decent headphones. I think I stumbled on this site through a yahoo link. I had no intentions of spending more than a hundred bucks or so. But just like everyone else here, head-fi grabbed a hold of me. About 5k later, I'm still not done. I see a pair of R10s in my future. Trust me, it never EVER ends!!!!

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Boy, is that one a double entendre for sure!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

And the thread takes a sharp turn directly into the gutter!
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
And the thread takes a sharp turn directly into the gutter!
tongue.gif

Boy, I hope so! It's hard having to constantly look up from down here!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Thank you, thank you very much...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 46
OK, yeah it's all to easy to get into materialism and constantly want, no demand, "more".

You've just got to keep a grip on yourself and know when to say, "When".

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

How bad do you have upgraditis, and what did it take to cure you? When did you feel like you didn't have to upgrade for an extended period of time (at least a few months)?

Quote:

WHEN!!!!

There's an ancient Head-Fi curse awaiting the poor soul who claims to have reached the summit, but I think I can lay claim to a plateau.

For the moment I've arrived at a comfort zone, but it took two separate headphone rigs to do it: Stax and the Senn 650. My sources compliment the strengths of each and compensate for the deficiencies. I don't think I'll be in the market for new gear anytime in the immediate future. I don't think . . .
lambda.gif

BW

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 46
Personally it doesn't take that much, I need to have a system that is good enough to meet my standards but once that is hit, it's all good and I tend to be happy for a long time. I have two of those sysems now, I just need one more and I'm set.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 46
i'm pretty sure i can come to a point where i can stop upgrading. just need to buy several headphones that does the job for different situation:

five headphones: home (closed and open), ultra portable (canalphone), semiportable/winter weather (supraural), pc (closed)

two amps: one home and one portable

three sources: portable cd player, and hd player and cd player

the only thing that is stopping me from reaching my destination and to stop upgrading is the lack of money.

edit: also a lot of money to buy cds, and some interconnects. give me $5k and i'll be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back