What does the Windows Product Key "Attach" to?
Jul 4, 2005 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Well, I know that Windows XP's product key for machines that are pre-built only goes with the machine. But my machine was bought from UK online company and has been upgraded a lot since i got it 3 years ago. New CPU, Motherboard, Hard Drives x 4, RAM, Optical Drives....etc. And i am still using the same copy of windows XP as i was when i first got it.

Now the product key is stuck on the back of the machine, the strange thing is that i have a original copy of XP that came with the machine, not a BACKUP Recovery CD of windows. So lets say if i strip the machine bare and sell the parts (the only thing that is original to the machine bought is the ATI9700pro, Audigy and PSU). Can i keep the copy of windows xp for my new built machine? or do i have to sell it with the HD? or CPU? or the Case ?

What does the Product Key actually "attach" to?

If i keep the case, but don't use the case and get a new Coolmaster case, can i use the same product key for the new machine?

Bear in mind that i have a original copy of XP, unlike my Laptop that has Dell's own back up recovery disk.

And what if it is an OEM Disk? what happens then in the same situation?

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Well, I know that Windows XP's product key for machines that are pre-built only goes with the machine. But my machine was bought from UK online company and has been upgraded a lot since i got it 3 years ago. New CPU, Motherboard, Hard Drives x 4, RAM, Optical Drives....etc. And i am still using the same copy of windows XP as i was when i first got it.

Now the product key is stuck on the back of the machine, the strange thing is that i have a original copy of XP that came with the machine, not a BACKUP Recovery CD of windows. So lets say if i strip the machine bare and sell the parts (the only thing that is original to the machine bought is the ATI9700pro, Audigy and PSU). Can i keep the copy of windows xp for my new built machine? or do i have to sell it with the HD? or CPU? or the Case ?

What does the Product Key actually "attach" to?

If i keep the case, but don't use the case and get a new Coolmaster case, can i use the same product key for the new machine?

Bear in mind that i have a original copy of XP, unlike my Laptop that has Dell's own back up recovery disk.

And what if it is an OEM Disk? what happens then in the same situation?

If it's been activated (which it has, unless you used one of the many methods to bypass it), it registers that key at M$ with, IIRC, your HD, motherboard, CPU, expansion cards, and RAM. Basically, everything. Supposedly, when it came out, if you changed more than 3 of the above items, you had to re-activate it. This was to prevent sharing of keys. In any case, all you'd have to do is re-activate the key (which would probably entail calling M$, and informing them you switched computers), and it'd work fine.

As for OEMs, most of them just look to make sure the computer being used to boot them is the same make, i.e. Dell for Dell, Gateway for Gateway. There are methods available to fix the disks; I found one about a month ago for a friend. It involved using a hex editor to switch a few values around in a file, and possibly deleting a couple of folders. Can't quite remember.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I wear mine on the small of my back, so all the fine laydees know I'm piratical by inclination - not by nature.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 5
XP is rarely OEM specific. Also you can 're-activate' it on other hardware every four months (or use to be I moved to OS X a couple years ago so no longer sure).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back