What does slow/fast bass describe?
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 6
By and large "fast" or "slow" bass can be roughly correlated with "tight" or "loose" and/or "clean" or "wooly" - a headphone with "fast bass" will have low-end that both attacks and decays quickly, and that isn't bleeding out over the rest of the spectrum, while "slow" is usually going to correlate with an overblown low end that both dominates the presentation, and hangs over the sound like a cloud.

An example of a "fast bass" headphone would be the Sony MDR-SA5000, and a "slow bass" headphone would be the Beats Solo (these are pretty extreme examples, usually where these threads turn south is when one "camp" says something like the K701 is "slow" and another says "fast"). But remember that as with most "audio terms" they're better used relatively as opposed to absolutely.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
By and large "fast" or "slow" bass can be roughly correlated with "tight" or "loose" and/or "clean" or "wooly" - a headphone with "fast bass" will have low-end that both attacks and decays quickly, and that isn't bleeding out over the rest of the spectrum, while "slow" is usually going to correlate with an overblown low end that both dominates the presentation, and hangs over the sound like a cloud.

An example of a "fast bass" headphone would be the Sony MDR-SA5000, and a "slow bass" headphone would be the Beats Solo (these are pretty extreme examples, usually where these threads turn south is when one "camp" says something like the K701 is "slow" and another says "fast"). But remember that as with most "audio terms" they're better used relatively as opposed to absolutely.

Thanks for the explanation.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 6
another reason for the different opinions is the source and amp..many times a better amp, or the addition of an amp cleans and tightens up the bass.  i.e.  makes it faster.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 6
signature.jpg

thanks sir for explain this even i am also new in this.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 6
another reason for the different opinions is the source and amp..many times a better amp, or the addition of an amp cleans and tightens up the bass.  i.e.  makes it faster.

Not to be confrontational, but this is a misleading claim. I do understand the bulk majority of tweako reviews will make claims along the line "totally cleaned up the bass and widened the soundstage" (and this is pretty much a universal praise for all tweaks/changes/etc - it blurs together after a while, trust me :xf_eek:). Note that I'm not trying to attack you, just stating that this isn't an accurate claim (of course amplifier manufacturers will scream heresy, but honestly there's so much woowoo in amp discussions anymore that it's hard to keep the fictions straight, let alone glean facts from it).

Differences in amplification can potentially lead to differences in FR, and depending on the headphones this can result in a slight boost (or cut) to the low-end (or elsewhere), which some folks may say "oh this totally cleaned it up!" after hearing (and that doesn't mean they're "right" or "wrong" - it is a change, and "fast" or "slow" or whatever other words are simply interpretation of what's happening). It's a tough discussion to have overall, and it's especially hard when you start talking about "this amp is fast" or "this amp is slow" - not only does it require conditionals in terms of "compared to that amp" but also "with what headphones" and "in what scenario" and so on; there's a lot of variables at play, and it gets murky (and that's BEFORE all of the marketing nonsense starts flying across the room, and it's rarely more than a stone's throw from any discussion involving amplification).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back