What does "pink noise" or "white noise" do to your headphones?
May 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

armoOndo408

New Head-Fier
Hey guys im sorry if there's already a thread for this but I was just really curious.

I'm getting some ATH-ES7s in a few days and I was wondering what it does

Thanx

May 27, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 14
It loosens up the diaphragms inside the headphones. This is called "burning in".
When a headphone is fully burned in then it will give it's best sound. Usually burn in's take up to 600 hours.

May 27, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 14
It colors them of course...................
o2smile.gif

May 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by namiSWAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that ragular music make the work
smily_headphones1.gif
, or does it make it fester ?

I have never heard ragular music, is it like reggae?

And I don't know if I would be playing that type music on my headphones, making them fester like that! Or are you talking about ears festering?

May 27, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Bixby You are one Funny fella. I was just here laughing like mad at your responses!!

I am not too informed about this matter, as to what white and pink noise does to your phones.I normally just listen to music on my headphones to burn them in. My current understanding is that pink noise is a signal that allows each frequency to have the same amount of noise power so that it gives the drivers of your headphones a much more efficient "work out" than if you were just playing normal music through them where certain frequency points maybe more emphasized than others and as such it takes a longer time for the drivers to reach their optimim performance than if pink noise was used.

May 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 14
I like to have fun
biggrin.gif

But you have it described as good as one can describe it. I normally just use music for days on end and let the phones eat up as much of the 150GB I have on my Mac.

Did you know you can also burn in cables? I am serious. I use a device to burn in my interconnects and it does work. I think mine uses some sort of square wave generator.

Anyhow thanks for the nod to humor.

May 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 14
white noise makes your headphones go SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

pink noise makes them go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

May 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you know you can also burn in cables? I am serious. I use a device to burn in my interconnects and it does work. I think mine uses some sort of square wave generator.

You know I wouldn't doubt that at all. When I replaced the cable on my already fully burnt in denon C700. It was almost reminiscent of how the phones were out of the box. One night of playing music through them and it was as if the cable had burnt in.

By the way, back to see if I can find anything about ragular music on wikipedia!

May 27, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by armoOndo408 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys im sorry if there's already a thread for this but I was just really curious.

I'm getting some ATH-ES7s in a few days and I was wondering what it does

Thanx

The idea of white noise or pink noise is to play all of the frequencies equally, so that the drivers of your earphones all get broken in evenly. Pink noise is "flat" and non-random, white noise is random but equal over each octave.

Playing a variety of different music should have the same long term effect of white or pink noise. Like loading up a music player with all the genres you are planning to listen to and playing it on shuffle.

May 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 14
May 28, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 14
thanks alot guys, this really helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 14
hmmmm,
Lithium Chloride added to a fire will create a pink flame. Heat your earphones over that pink flame for 200+ hours, and you get a nice burn-in.
icon10.gif

There is a term in photography called 'Washing the film'. There was a guy I know who did such kind of thing. This guy bought a new SLR camera and clicked photos all over the college trying to impress all the students, showing how professional he was by turning the focus dial and adjusting the speed and aperature, click. After clicking 36 photos. He decided to show off more. Thinking that he will wash the film by himself and no need to give it to any lab, he pulled out the film strip and washed it in a basin under the tap completely.
And thus....
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back