What does Pharrell Williams actually do?
Feb 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Matkinson121

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I know this sounds stupid but....

I know the majority of his praise is from the production side of things, can someone actually give me some demonstrable talent from this side of things?

Yes, I know this is random but I don't understand the hype around him, there are some albums that he has produced that I love (Good Kid Mad City) but how much of a role does he have in these?

Genuine question, just curious as to learn more about producers as I'm still not 100% sure on their role most of the time.

E.g. I respect Rick Rubin due to his decision to force Johnny Cash to sing 'Hurt' etc.

Cheers.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 6
From Wiki:

"A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, contracts and negotiations."

Sounds to me like he makes the music appealable hence sellable to the public. Having experience and knowledge of what sounds of music sell is a great asset to have.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 6
  Hi there,

I know this sounds stupid but....

I know the majority of his praise is from the production side of things, can someone actually give me some demonstrable talent from this side of things?

Yes, I know this is random but I don't understand the hype around him, there are some albums that he has produced that I love (Good Kid Mad City) but how much of a role does he have in these?

Genuine question, just curious as to learn more about producers as I'm still not 100% sure on their role most of the time.

E.g. I respect Rick Rubin due to his decision to force Johnny Cash to sing 'Hurt' etc.

Cheers.

Nowadays? A producer is someone who makes money off the artist he slept with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back