what does ohm stand for?
Dec 27, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 11
The ohm (symbol: Ω) is the SI unit of electrical resistance, named after Georg Simon Ohm. read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 11
for headphones lower the impedance,less resistance. less resistance means less voltage is needed and more current is drawn instead, depending on the driver design so in most cases it means to most that the device is easier to drive.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 11
All this time I thought it was that sound the meditation people make. Oh well. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 11
The Ohms in headphones is different from the ohms in resistance.  You'll notice how the unit is listed under impedance and though it uses the same unit, includes inductive properties and well which makes it more confusing.  I think that the headphone impedance can be deceiving.  While a pair of 600 ohm sextetts might require more voltage to be driven to higher volume levels than say more contemporary brands with lower impedance values, there are still headphones say the DT48 whose <20 ohm values requires close to the same gain.  Consensus is that lower ohms does not mean easier to drive and earsplitting volume is not the equivalent to driving headphones.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 11

it can be very confusing at a lot of times. that's because impedance spikes or dip at certain frequencies. there is never a balance resistance(impedance) with either speakers or headphones even if the specs or certain graphs like headroom claims there is no impedance change cause there always is in good quality built drivers. it might have a nominal impedance almost through-out the frequency spectrum but at a certain range there will be a spike or dip. that's why speaker specs will tell you nominal impedance at a certain frequency range or how akg 240m specs were 600ohms@1khz.

there is always consent shifts of voltage and current. it all comes down to how well the amplifier can handle these consent shifts. i can be wrong. this all i know from reading and very little experience with speakers and amps. 
Quote:
The Ohms in headphones is different from the ohms in resistance.  You'll notice how the unit is listed under impedance and though it uses the same unit, includes inductive properties and well which makes it more confusing.  I think that the headphone impedance can be deceiving.  While a pair of 600 ohm sextetts might require more voltage to be driven to higher volume levels than say more contemporary brands with lower impedance values, there are still headphones say the DT48 whose <20 ohm values requires close to the same gain.  Consensus is that lower ohms does not mean easier to drive and earsplitting volume is not the equivalent to driving headphones.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I know that no one will believe me when I say this, but Georg Ohm is my fifth great grandfather. Maybe this caused my attraction to headphones is some twisted way?!?! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
I know that no one will believe me when I say this, but Georg Ohm is my fifth great grandfather. Maybe this caused my attraction to headphones is some twisted way?!?! 
biggrin.gif

That's pretty wild.

Thats what I thought at first. Then I realized that he was just a person like everyone else. I do find it interesting though, and I feel bad that I don't know more about him and his work. TO THE INTERNET! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back