What does HAPPY BIRTHDAY on HEAD FI mean to you
Nov 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
I am always start my HEAD FI from the page where all today birthday members are been mentioned/listed. So, I check pretty often who is birthday today to see if I can post some congratulations. I am not posting anything if I am not familiar with the person.
Anyway, just wonder if such thing means to you anything. Seems that I see the same members who try to follow the same path, year in-year out, to congratulate the members they know or just like to do with no reason, but how about the rest...?
Dont want to sound pitiful, but I have been never congratulated up here and what ever you may think, its not really pleasure to realise that. Especially when you read a lot of ****ING BULL **** up here, which doesnt mean A ****, to me anyway.
What I am trying to say, is that personal feeling to this site is just gone, no feeling as an community anyway.
Who is interested in you as an person? Non...really...all commercialized, even the opinion you may give, I feel lost and misunderstanding, but the most of all NOT HOME anymore...

Hoping for a change...

Blackmore

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 22
Blackmore, I agree with part of what you're saying. It's a shame that sometimes a birthday is overlooked. It's not a systematic thing, so I guess it all depends on the luck of the draw and who happens to be looking at the list of birthdays on that particular day, and whether or your name jumps out at that intended well wisher.

I've never been one to start happy birthday threads, but I do appreciate the efforts made by others who seem to do as you've suggested - on a regular basis, start their days at Head-Fi by looking at the list of members who are celebrating a birthday, and congratulate those that they know personally (and thus can start a birthday thread with an appropriate opener).

As often as possible, I try to participate in as many birthday threads as I "honestly" can, especially when I know (personally) or have had direct communication with the person being congratulated. But even if that person is not someone I'd regard as a "friend" (as such), I'll still wish them well if they've been a member at Head-Fi for some time or have made significant contributions through their posts, etc. In other words, when I at least know "of" that person by his/her posting reputation.

If the birthday thread is for someone with whom I've never had any contact, or for a new member whose screen name I don't recognize at all, for some reason I don't (being the awkward person I am) feel comfortable in saying "happy birthday". Even if I mean it genuinely, that person may think I'm just sucking up. So I normally leave it to those who do have some association with the birthday boy/girl/man/woman to wish that person well.

That's just me. Others may feel differently about it. Some people don't ever post in birthday threads. Other people seem to never miss one, and it makes me wonder how many Head-Fi'ers they can possibly know or identify with. But my point is that everyone treats such things in their own way.

What I can say from personal experience, is that it's a nice feeling to jump on to Head-Fi and see that someone has taken the time to wish me well. It seems that my birthday is never missed here! Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or perhaps I'm just highly visible, being a moderator and frequent poster, plus having attended many Head-Fi meets. So people feel that they "know" me.

That's not the case for everyone here, but that doesn't mean that people don't appreciate you. In fact, I'm always prepared to start my own birthday thread! I've never had to, but I sure would! I'd say, "Hey! Haven't you noticed? It's my birthday, and I'm feeling fine!"

So here you go, Blackmore... I mean what I say in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/ha...9/#post4970123

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 22
I think I need to apologies for a language use, so sorry about that.

I didn't mean this from anger or jealousy point, just the thing you mentioned to, this community become huge and some kind of distant, however this is very personal as well. And I was on the list at the day of my birthday, so nothing wrong with that either.
Also would like to thank you for your replay, its pretty neutral, with sense of humour and direct to the point.

Personally I think people have to appreciate other things to, not WHICH MOVIE YOU WATCHED LAST TIME only or something...And yes, I was trying to get some attention to this by posting such thread...

Cheers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackmore, I agree with part of what you're saying. It's a shame that sometimes a birthday is overlooked. It's not a systematic thing, so I guess it all depends on the luck of the draw and who happens to be looking at the list of birthdays on that particular day, and whether or your name jumps out at that intended well wisher.

I've never been one to start happy birthday threads, but I do appreciate the efforts made by others who seem to do as you've suggested - on a regular basis, start their days at Head-Fi by looking at the list of members who are celebrating a birthday, and congratulate those that they know personally (and thus can start a birthday thread with an appropriate opener).

As often as possible, I try to participate in as many birthday threads as I "honestly" can, especially when I know (personally) or have had direct communication with the person being congratulated. But even if that person is not someone I'd regard as a "friend" (as such), I'll still wish them well if they've been a member at Head-Fi for some time or have made significant contributions through their posts, etc. In other words, when I at least know "of" that person by his/her posting reputation.

If the birthday thread is for someone with whom I've never had any contact, or for a new member whose screen name I don't recognize at all, for some reason I don't (being the awkward person I am) feel comfortable in saying "happy birthday". Even if I mean it genuinely, that person may think I'm just sucking up. So I normally leave it to those who do have some association with the birthday boy/girl/man/woman to wish that person well.

That's just me. Others may feel differently about it. Some people don't ever post in birthday threads. Other people seem to never miss one, and it makes me wonder how many Head-Fi'ers they can possibly know or identify with. But my point is that everyone treats such things in their own way.

What I can say from personal experience, is that it's a nice feeling to jump on to Head-Fi and see that someone has taken the time to wish me well. It seems that my birthday is never missed here! Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or perhaps I'm just highly visible, being a moderator and frequent poster, plus having attended many Head-Fi meets. So people feel that they "know" me.

That's not the case for everyone here, but that doesn't mean that people don't appreciate you. In fact, I'm always prepared to start my own birthday thread! I've never had to, but I sure would! I'd say, "Hey! Haven't you noticed? It's my birthday, and I'm feeling fine!"

So here you go, Blackmore... I mean what I say in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/ha...9/#post4970123

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 22
It all depends on what kind of day I'm having.

Some days I have lots of time and really feel like getting involved, other days I'm just kinda scanning the forums.

But I always feel bad if I scan past someone I "Kinda Know" and don't drop the Birthday Greeting.

Speaking for myself however....I don't have my own B-Day listed cause I don't wanna make anyone else feel uncomfortable.

Human nature, go figure.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone deserves love and attention, even if they can't do 40 push ups.

Agreed
tongue.gif

When January rolls around I got you man!

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Dave

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 22
Sorry I missed you; you certainly have been positively active around here. I know I've been busy with work and rennovating the kitchen, but that's no excuse. I wish people Happy Birthday around here both to acknowledge friends and because of the big hole that came in my life when my mom died in 2001 and family birthday greetings ceased.

I only post greeting for folks that I have known over the years. My post count is of no consequence to me.

Sorry it's belated, Blackmore, but I hope that you otherwise had a very happy birthday. And many more in good health!
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 22
Just what is says, Happy Birthday.
Or best wishes for the birthday, to say it in other words...

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 22
I start a lot of birthday threads, which I picked up from GoRedwings19 who doesn't post anymore. When Mikey dropped off, I thought I would continue the tradition by starting threads for long-time members and friends I know personally. It is nice that Old Pa and you, Blackmore, also post up birthday threads because I don't always get to it and because I don't know everybody (obviously).

I have to admit, though, that I have become disenchanted with posting threads for all but the most well-known of people here because of the lack of response. Not sure why, but instead of most people having quite a few replies in b-day threads -- even just HBD! or Cheers! or whatever -- the threads often get 1 or 2 replies and that is it. To my mind, that is more humiliating than not having a thread at all. I feel guilty when I start a thread and there are basically no responses, so I often just don't start them at all.

Is it really too much of a hassle to post a super quick birthday greeting before entering the fray on the latest pretzel vs. churro thread in the lounge?

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 22
Seriously? You care that much about a random congratulatory thread by random strangers on the internet? On your birthday, go out with some friends or have a party with your family or whatever, don't wait around on Head-Fi for somebody to start a birthday thread for you. Do you really need that validation? No offense, but I don't really personally care for anyone on Head-Fi. If you do have friends on Head-Fi who you also know in real life or have met or something, you can just call/PM/write a card or whatever you want. Those inane birthday threads are unimportant.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got any birthday thread or even a single PM so far.

Don't get distracted. You're a good person, but not popular enough to get noticed. That's all.

Yeah, pretty much. If it happens, it happens, and it makes you feel a bit warmer inside. If not, just sit it out and know that there will certainly be other people (hopefully real ones) who will wish you a Happy Birthday as they pass by in real life.

EDIT: And thank you Dzjudz, for having the guts to post that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back