What does "Digital" imply on headphones packing?
Feb 22, 2004 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

wali

1000+ Head-Fier
In some headphones packing one finds 'digital' marking, it is usually in packing or on the ear-cups. Most of these headphones are cheap consumer level cans, but I have always wondered what 'digital' has got to do with headphones where these cans connect to an analog regular output like all other headphones?

Feb 22, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 34
Wrong forum, but anyway.....

Its nothing but marketing BS, to make numpties who dont know any better think they are somehow superior to ones that arent digital...

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Its nothing but marketing BS, to make numpties who dont know any better think they are somehow superior to ones that arent digital...

Ditto. They just slap it on to make non-audiophiles think it's an absolutely "phat phone" and that it'll work with their mp3s.

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 34
perhaps they have dacs inside of them?

biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 34
At the time CD was brand new media, audio products had to prove themselves being capable of handling digital sources --- faster response, wider dynamic range, bigger input tolerance, etc.

I think the meaning of the word is simplified over years and now it has become just a synonim of "good sound".

(Reminds me of the movies like Star Trek:The Motion Picture or Planet of The Apes or Time Machine)

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Takashi
At the time CD was brand new media, audio products had to prove themselves being capable of handling digital sources --- faster response, wider dynamic range, bigger input tolerance, etc.

True, but just the other day I saw these Coby earbuds at a store. It not only said "digital" on the packaging, but there was a 'minidisc' logo on it! How on God's green Earth can Coby earbuds be any more capable of playing music recorded on minidiscs than, say, Etymotics?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
True, but just the other day I saw these Coby earbuds at a store. It not only said "digital" on the packaging, but there was a 'minidisc' logo on it! How on God's green Earth can Coby earbuds be any more capable of playing music recorded on minidiscs than, say, Etymotics?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Yeah, some people are plain shameless.

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 34
It's marketing BS. You guys hit it on the nose. Most buyers associate digital with modern technology and quality sound so if they see that buzz word, they are more likely to buy it.

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 34
Rule of thumb:

If it says DIGITAL READY on it, it will no doubt be a POS and should be avoided at all costs.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
If it says DIGITAL READY on it, it will no doubt be a POS and should be avoided at all costs.

My CD3000s box had DIGITAL REFERENCE written on, and I dont think they are too bad like
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 34
Digital is just a marketing tool, but I have a set of Denon AH-D950 with it emblazoned on them that really aren't bad with the right amp. Still they're more of a fun phone than a reference phone!
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 34
1. The marketing dept. doesn't know squat about audio or headphones

2. The marketing dept. realizes the average consumer doesn't know squat about audio or headphones. Ignorant consumer associates "digital" with "good sound", is likely to use said headphones with "digital" gear, and might be convinced he needs some special voodoo found in headphones labelled specifically "for digital" to be used with his/her digital gear.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
My CD3000s box had DIGITAL REFERENCE written on, and I dont think they are too bad like
tongue.gif

Maybe so but you didn't buy your CD3k's because of what it said on the box did you?

The people that the manufacturers are aiming the £10 DIGITAL READY phones at are dumbasses and need some coaxing. DIGITAL READY to them means the world. They know no different and the ones that do appreciate the difference are either on here or they are too tight to part with their money.

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 34
Well, I do remember (back in the 80's) a sales clerk who tried to sell me a pair of Beyers, claiming that it was one of the best analog headphones on the market (he probably was confused about dynamic vs. electrostatic).

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back