What does Amazon do with it's returned gear?
Mar 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
I bought some Senn HD650's from Amazon a few years ago, didn't like them, and returned them. With it's pretty generous return policies, I bet this happens alot, but I don't see anywhere on Amazon to buy open box stuff. Where's it all go?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Warehousedeals by Amazon

You can browse the warehouse deals site directly. Or if you check under "used" on the Amazon site you sometimes find products by "warehousedeals" there. That's Amazon selling returns as used.

For example, right now Amazon has two Denon D5000 headphones available through warehouse deals. Go to the Amazon page for the D5000 and click on "used" to see them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warehousedeals by Amazon

You can browse the warehouse deals site directly. Or if you check under "used" on the Amazon site you sometimes find products by "warehousedeals" there. That's Amazon selling returns as used.

For example, right now Amazon has two Denon D5000 headphones available through warehouse deals. Go to the Amazon page for the D5000 and click on "used" to see them.

AWESOME! Thanks! I just picked up a green laser for $20. I didn't even know I needed a green laser, and now I own one! Hard to resist amazon's claim that it originally sold for like $200++. I also got an led flashlight for free with it. I'm sure it's a great deal, why would Amazon lie?
wink_face.gif

seriously, thanks... There are some great deals there.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 8
I noticed the listings for warehouse-deals headphones all say "Eligible for warranty provided by Square Trade for open box item"

Is this because these headphones are considered "used" and hence do not qualify for their Manufacturers' warranty?

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Amazon is promoting the Square Trade extended warranties on their new electronics items as well.

On Warehouse Deals the manufacturer warranty may still apply even for open box items.  It would depend on the manufacturer and their policies.

Unfortunately now with Amazon selling and promoting extended warranties on the Warehouse Deals items they have a conflict of interest.  If you ask them if the manufacturer warranty will be valid will they give a truthful answer?

You: Is the manufacturer warranty valid on this purchase?
Amazon: Maybe, maybe not.  Can't say for sure.  Depends.  But you can buy the extended warranty to be absolutely sure.
You: Gee thanks for the truthful answer and looking out for my interests and giving me a definite answer

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 8
I inquired about the manufacturer warranty, below is their response:

You can find additional details about the specific item you're considering buying by clicking "Read More" on the listing for the item.  Here, we'll give you an idea of a specific item's functional and cosmetic condition outside of what's provided on its detail page.

You may return the item for a full refund within 30 days of its delivery. We also pay the return shipping cost if the return is a result of our error.   

Please visit the following page for more information on Warehouse Deals policies: 

http://www.amazon.com/warehousedeals

I hope this helps.  We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

I plan to answer "No" to their question.

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 8
The customer service probably does not have access to a definitive answer, since it will vary by manufacturer and category type.  Item specific information that is not easily digestible by an automated process of some kind is not really Amazon's forte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back