What does a typical vinyl setup look like?
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
As far as I can tell, all we've got in my house is a turntable... no phono preamp, amp, receiver, or speakers. So I take it that this is all that I will need? TT-->Receiver-->Preamp-->Amp-->Speakers/headphones? I think I'm good as far as the preamp, but can anyone recommend a nice, cheap amp and receiver? Also, could I use any standard speakers with my system (Like a Swan M200MKII?)

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Alright, cool. So as of now, what I'm looking at is Dual 602 (Already have it)--> Grado Black (Need to buy)--> NAD PP2 preamp(Need to buy)-->Unknown speakers (Suggestions?) Do I need a phono stage? Also, any suggestions for speakers in the $150 range would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, cool. So as of now, what I'm looking at is Dual 602 (Already have it)--> Grado Black (Need to buy)--> NAD PP2 preamp(Need to buy)-->Unknown speakers (Suggestions?) Do I need a phono stage? Also, any suggestions for speakers in the $150 range would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The NAD PP2 is a phono stage, not a preamp. A phono stage applies the RIAA curve to a record. The low end of a record is attenuated; that's the only way to get the grooves to a smallish size and get about 18 minutes per side on a LP.

A preamp, on the other hand, boosts a low signal (from a phono stage, CD player, etc.) up a bit for the power amp. A preamp also usually has a volume control and a way to switch between different sources.

Integrated amps have both the preamp and amp built into one box.

Receivers have the preamp, amp, phono stage, and a radio tuner built into one unit.

For inexpensive speakers, I think this is the best deal on the market right now:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

He sells PSB Alpha B1 speakers for $169 a pair. They're usually $279, and a bargain at that. I drove down to DMC Electronics the other weekend and bought a pair of these. They're terrific, especially for the size and price. The owner is nice, friendly and good to deal with. If these interest you, be sure to read the Stereophile review: Stereophile: PSB Alpha B1 loudspeaker

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NAD PP2 is a phono stage, not a preamp. A phono stage applies the RIAA curve to a record. The low end of a record is attenuated; that's the only way to get the grooves to a smallish size and get about 18 minutes per side on a LP.

A preamp, on the other hand, boosts a low signal (from a phono stage, CD player, etc.) up a bit for the power amp. A preamp also usually has a volume control and a way to switch between different sources.

Integrated amps have both the preamp and amp built into one box.

Receivers have the preamp, amp, phono stage, and a radio tuner built into one unit.

For inexpensive speakers, I think this is the best deal on the market right now:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

He sells PSB Alpha B1 speakers for $169 a pair. They're usually $279, and a bargain at that. I drove down to DMC Electronics the other weekend and bought a pair of these. They're terrific, especially for the size and price. The owner is nice, friendly and good to deal with. If these interest you, be sure to read the Stereophile review: Stereophile: PSB Alpha B1 loudspeaker

So could I use a phono stage in place of a preamp? Also, my dad was talking about a "receiver", as far as I could tell, he was talking about a phono stage or a preamp, but is this something else that I need to buy?

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Dec 18, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Some phono preamps have enough power to drive a power amp, but most don't. Further, I can't think of any commercial models that have a volume control. They're designed to be fed to a preamp, then to a power amp.

The PSB Alpha B1 is not a powered speaker. I strongly recommend avoiding powered speakers. You usually get a cheap amp stuck in a cheap speaker. You're better off buying unpowered, inexpensive but good speakers. The speaker makes the most difference in your audio setup - buy the best you can afford. If you don't have a power amp, look into a vintage receiver. There are lots of good ones you can buy for under $50 that will sound great and power almost any speaker you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back