What do your kids think of Audiophilia/What got you into Audiophilia?
May 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #92 of 139
i like how 90% of the people posting in this thread don't have kids.
cool.gif

May 9, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #93 of 139
No one should procreate. 

May 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #94 of 139
I'm 17, but I got my love for music from my dad. Since I was young my parents have always played classical and jazz music though the speakers. I only started caring about sound quality when I started to compare different headphones and earbuds when I got my sennheiser hd221 (a few years ago, didn't know about head-fi) I started to research more and more and the catalyst for moving forward was when my dad recently bought new Infinity speakers that sounded great and I wanted to match up. 

May 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #95 of 139
18 here, and a recent audiophile. Similar to some of the earlier posts, my entrance started with V-Moda Bass Freqs (seems like a gateway headphone? :p) and has since developed. The Bass Freqs were not a bad bud, but after going through three pairs in two years I was a little tired of constantly having to replace them.
As such, I ordered a pair of Monster Turbines (perhaps not the brightest idea for durability, in retrospect, given the short and somewhat shoddy strain relief). I was thoroughly impressed with the audio quality, even accepting the heavy bass given that I primarily listen to bass-heavy electronica like hardstyle and happy hardcore. I started learning to DJ a bit, and decided that no self-respecting producer of any kind could persist with IEMs and IEMs alone. Accordingly, I did a little research and opted for the Ultrasone HFI-580s.
The HFI-580s really impressed me. I started downloading some FLAC and ALAC audio to match the quality, and haven't gone back (although electronica is a particularly challenging genre to find audio of this quality for, and since I live in America most CDs I would buy would be accompanied by an international shipping charge given the Euro electronica scene).
I have since ordered a pair of used MTPGs from another Head-Fier and opted to sell my original Turbines to a friend who I got interested in the audiophile scene. It's pretty excellent to have at least a few friends who appreciate a good set of cans or IEMs. That being said, I also argued with one of my peers yesterday about the relative quality of his Beats Solo vs. my HFI-580s. He insisted that his Beats "sound sick" compared to mine, even going as far as to say that "if Dr. Dre uses them they have to be good"... <sigh>
Next up, I'll probably have to invest in an amp/DAC of some kind. I'm figuring out quickly that audiophilia is a seriously expensive condition :/

May 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #96 of 139
I love kids - boiled, fried or poached, they really are delicious.

Seriously, are we getting back to the '12 yr old girl looking for headphones'-style threads, people ? Kids love drag racing. They love loud explosions. They love fart jokes. Some of em probably even love listening to music with something better than Apple buds, but is it a topic worthy of in-depth discussion ?

May 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #100 of 139
that's a really nice picture, you should send it to beyerdynamic, they can use it for their ads. 

Quote:
atsmile.gif
 My son listening "Nationale 7" by Stereo Total.

May 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #101 of 139
This has become a 'how you were introduced to hifi at a young age' thread so Ill post my story.

Im 19 only recently into hifi since August of last year. I think being apart of other niche communities helped me find headfi. At 14 I built my own gaming computer. I didnt want to annoy my family with the constant sound of gunshots(I used to play ALOT of counter-strike). So I bought my first pair of headphones, the Panasonic RP HC150. My first pair of noise cancelling headphones. At that point these were the most insanely high end pair of headphones I had ever heard. Id never heard noise cancelling before. I had them maybe a couple of months before the headband broke. Very poorly designed pair of headphones. I had this thing about noise cancelling headphones after that. My second pair were some Sony MDR-NC6. Similarly priced overall the same SQ except for the on ear design. I used this pair for mowing the lawn. I ended up using them while I mowed the lawn every weekend. Did a good job at cancelling out the lawnmowers engine. They had a long run and made it through dust/pollen until the left ear cup fell off. My third pair was the Razer Carcharias. The immediate thing I noticed was the complete lack of bass. This was when I learned not to buy an open back headphone ever again. However these are the most comfortable headphones Ive worn to date. My next pair was the Bose On Ears. Im not quite sure where I learned this but I remember always knowing Bose was overpriced. These headphones are great! Overpriced but if I had to have one pair of Bose it would be these, due to the weight, comfort, and portability. You can take those anywhere, seriously. Headphones are definitely a gateway drug. Even though I was satisfied I wanted more. Long story short sold them and bought a pair of Denon D2000s. The immediate difference I noticed was clarity. The bass is also less muddy and tighter but not really a fair comparison huh. Im as happy as ever with these so at this point am done with headphone purchasing. My next inquisition will be some Audioengine 5s to replace my Panasonic bookshelf speakers.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #103 of 139
i am a kid, about 16... i am really into audiophilia, i spend lot of time, looking for the best headphones, and for some time i will be working, for getting some money, for now i am planning to buy some tube amp and the well regarded hd800 from sennheiser or hd650 from senn... or t1 from beyer, or denon 7000, or the best would be lcd2 from audeze.... 

for now i have sennheiser ie8, and cowon j3... i must mention, that after becoming an audiophile i started to build iems, and headphones, by now i have something that sounds yet as clear as hd800, but still has some bass... the problem is that any headphone i build is not really good enought, as build quality, as i am not really having the needed instruments for this.... 

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #104 of 139
Just an update...
I am 15 and am about to pick up a reel to reel player made in 1968. I have my Marantz 2220B manufactured in '76 and a turntable from the '80's. The vintage audio bug hit me hard. Now I am looking at buying a pair of speakers, preferably vintage Klipsch's. Audiophilia struck me first with a pair of SR225i's back in September, now look at me. Money don't escape me now. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #105 of 139
I'm 19, I got into audio about three years ago when my stock ipod earbuds broke and I bought a $10 replacement pair. I noticed the difference right away and since then I've started looking for better sounding everything. I coveted and then stupidly bought the bose triports because of how they sounded in the in store demo, which was totally misleading because they sounded nothing like that when i tried them at home. I even bought some of the songs that were demoed to compare, I felt really ripped of and returned them. I'm pretty much still a noob, because of prices. So far I have the m50's (bought less than a week ago) for using at home, the SE210's for school and the HD202's for jogging (it's cold where I live and I like how they double as earmuffs). I really love music and I listen to almost everything (except screamo, it just sounds weird to me) and when I bought my shure's and started really hearing my music I was hooked. 

Even though I just got my m50's I'm already looking ahead at the AKG 702's, a Fiio E7 and 9. At the end of the road I for sure see myself getting the HD800 or the edition 10's.

I take the bus and train a lot and I constantly find myself looking at what people are using to listen to their music. I see the usual ipod buds, the cheap under $20 replacements and the stock buds that come with cellphones and blackberry's. I've been seeing less skullcandies and more beats, I think I see at least 3 people wearing beats everyday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back