What do your kids think of Audiophilia/What got you into Audiophilia?
Mar 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #31 of 139
I think this is similar to how we improve in electronics and stuff.  Audio and video are converging, so when people are upgrading their video/computer devices, same with audio

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #32 of 139
i am 16, and dedicated audiphile.... the things is that i cannot influence kids,,, the kids around me are stupid, they do not understand anything about sound quality, or anything.... is awful.... what influenced me the most was some dftk review, and some great reviews at headphones, expensive ones... after i began to hate iriver e200, because of battery and lag, i was searching for a player, about 100$.... now i have cowon j3, senn ie8, senn 380, and shure 440 and sony xb700 on way..... 

the thing is that there are few people interested in things like these.....

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 139

^^^Really? The students around me are easily persuaded. Hive mind and all. I convert someone who's influential, everyone starts to ask about the hobby.

As for me, found this place when I was 13, and slowly built my way up from there, starting with some A500's. The ironic thing is that they're actually the headphones I paid the most for. (See my profile for a complete list of gear. My sig doesn't show everything I think.) I just eek out the most I can get for my money, and be persuasive with people. 90% off list for my DT48's, I paid 60% less for my RP50's (Sextetts made for Radioshack) than most pay for Sextetts, etc. And

And yes, my kids will have audiophilia force fed to them. They will learn to solder by the age of 7, and by 13, challenge DCS and MBL, and if they ask about the Beats Super Fantastic Ultimate headphones that just came out, they will be bought as torture devices.

Quote:
Funy that the TS mentioned kids asking about his Magneplanars, that's exactly how I was introduced into the world of audiophila by my dad.  Pops always had his MG-1's running off of PS Audio amps, hell he even spent a half hour showing me why his Nakamichi CD player was better than the POS Sony my bro bought.  Then again, I never met many audiophiles that used Mags for progressive rock, always thought audiophiles were only into jazz/classical...this site really changed my view on that.

With that said, my son recently bought his first $30 pair of headphones which were a step up from what he was used to but he felt a little cheated (they were Sony's after-all)so I let him borrow my Technics DJ1200's a couple weeks ago...haven't seen em since :)

How did prog rock work with Maggies? Ribbon speakers have always interested me. I want some when I get my own place in like 10 years.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 139
I'm 17, turning 18 in about a month. I really started getting interested in audio when I saw the Beats Solo on sale during black friday. While doing research on them I stumbled upon headfi and now less than 4 months later, I own a pair of hje900's and hfi-580's as my main phones, as well as 2 RB'ed clip+'s and an ibasso D4.

My view is that almost anybody who listens to music can be converted to an audiophile as long as they're willing to do their own research and not blindly listen to peer pressure and marketing. Of course, trying to convert someone who already bought beats or bose is an uphill battle since people are rarely willing to admit they're wrong.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 139

Quote:
Quote:
I am 16, so no kid, but nevertheless, I will comment here anyway.

What in the hell... how did you manage to get the money to afford all that stuff?
17 over here, haven't been able to get a job and I can barely manage to save enough for the HD555s. ;_; Currently trying to save up for a pair of HFI-780s.

His parents have no restraints on splurging on him clearly. I wish I could get everything I wanted. Actually, never mind. What experience and lessons would be learned then?

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #36 of 139
Or he may have saved his money? I am 15 and all of my audio gear came from my pocket short of my original Grado SR-225i's I started with. And I have plenty of cash to spare. Just sayin', no need to down someone.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #37 of 139
I am 14 and found this site and the hobby by complete luck. I basically just decided, "Hey, I bet headphones would make music sound better" so I did a search on Amazon for headphones, found the M50, read some reviews that led to this site, and ended up buying the M50 (they got back ordered for forever so I also ordered the MeElectronics M6, and conveniently enough the day after I ordered the M6 my iBuds randomly exploded). Ended up depleting my money almost completely M50 + M6 + Refurbed Turbines + Used iPod Touch 2 Gen (brother sold it to me for $70, didn't think I could pass the deal up) + Sansa Clip+. Now looking back I'm wondering how I managed to get a bunch of bass-heavy headphones/IEMs when I listen to rock/metal. I do like the M50, I just think sometimes the bass overpowers other things. Waiting for summer and my birthday to get something else, maybe Sr80i or HD25-1 II and a FiiO X3?

On a related note, my dad gave me some Vandersteen 1c speakers and an Onkyo A8057 speaker amp he bought in the 80's and have been collecting dust for a few years. I love the sound of the speakers, but don't get to use them much because my family doesn't like the noise. I tried using the amp with the M50 and it didn't seem to help at all, if anything it muddied the sound up a little.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #38 of 139
Mar 27, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #40 of 139
My 7 year enjoys our listening sessions.
She had some friends over this past weekend and one ask" what is that" pointing to my set -up and my daughter [size=10pt]casually  [/size] said, "oh amps " as if she has been around it all her life :)

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #41 of 139
i am currently 18 and jobless so i haven't been able to do any upgrading in a few months but i can say i was about to buy into beats hype(surprising when i never watch TV or pay attention to commercials) because i got $160 for Xmas and was going to go get a pair of beats solos at future shop on sale for $129.99. so i went onto the future shop website and read reviews like i always do before buying something. and evidently i wasn't impressed with what the reviews were saying so i looked for highly rated headphones for the same price on the future shop website. i stumbled upon the shure srh750dj on sale for $129.99 and the reviews were stellar so i went and picked them up. originally i was torn between the shure srh440 and the srh750dj. the only reason i picked up the 750dj was because i was still convinced the more money i spend the better. i didn't know anything on mid range or bass or how to eq properly so i thought they would be better for the price. cause the msrp was about 2x that of the srh440. i picked them up and was amazed. had them for 2 months and after i had been on this website the whole time i had come to the conclusion these weren't the cans for me. so the shure srh840 which i had heard much better reviews for were on sale for the same price of the shure srh750dj so i decided to return them and get the 840s. due to the 2 year warranty there was no problem exchanging them. and that is were i am now about 3 weeks since then. before i got the shure srh750dj i would never spend more then $100 on headphones cause i was convinced it was a rip off. now i am looking into saving up and getting a fiio e7 and maybe eventually saving up for a pair of sennheiser hd650s as i heard they are much better then the shure srh840s. but i now understand this will require me to order on line most of the time and my wallet will hate me. so to come to conclusion i have been a high end audio fan for 2 years but i didn't want to spend more then $100 until now. even looking back my pioneer SE m390 which was my previous cans cost me $70 and i bought them because they were highly reviewed amongst critics. i have always been one to read user and professional reviews before i take a plunge on anything.

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #42 of 139
I have a 6 years old boy... Here is him when he was 1 month old... I know all about bose, but at the time I didn't knew about head-fi... now he wears my DT990s and he seems to enjoy them, I think he still does not have the patience for sitting down and actually listen, but I'm pretty sure he notices that I care for good sound.

http://paconavarro.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/dkb619

My story is simple, I'm 35 now, so I'm an MTV kid, my most cared memories are of myself listening marillion, genesis, ozzy, wasp, poison, camel, uria heep, nektar, rush, etc with one of my 4 aunts.

One of them had more than 3000 vinyl records, with an amazing system having a variety of amps and speakers... then I "bought" to one of them a Technics amp, deck and AM FM receiver, when I was arround 12 so my dad payed for that LOL!!!... later I bought my technics turntable, and then a sony CD player, at some point I wasn't able to get good speakers so I started to make my own, I got descent results but then my amp blew away a channel... at the time with no money (I was in highschool) I started 3 bands so my very restricted budget went to guitars and equipment., now I regret it because I damaged my left ear and I have a - 3.5 dB diference with the right ear. While in the college I took my money to the car system. Then got married, kept my car system and once I got my firs iPod I got earphones... now... MacBookPro + DT990s and a hi-fi headphones evangelist...

Now my little brother (15 years) "steals" my headphones when I go to visit my parents. I gave my Sennheisers HD515 to my other brother (32) and he's getting very interested in buying more equipment.

I hope this year I can get a schiit amp and a pair of T1's ... BUT next month I'm having my second son... so my wallet is already suffering. :)

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #43 of 139
I started here looking for info on the Audio Technica A700. The rest is history. Learning up on the science of sound which is always interesting. My little bro I've converted rather easily (cuz he's smart and he's not a hive). One of my first memories was when I was a tot and was playing with buttons on my parents' vinyl setup..I didn't know what the buttons were at the time and wondered why my parents got annoyed.. discovered when I was older that I was messing with the treble and bass analog notches lol.

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #44 of 139
So...how many people posting here actually have kids?

Well if last night went how I thought it went...*slowly raises hand* :p

And btt, while my little sisters aren't my children, they're really interested in the hobby. One of them has a Clip and steals my DT48'S

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #45 of 139

Quote:
Ishcabible said:
Ishcabible
Well if last night went how I thought it went...*slowly raises hand*
tongue.gif

And btt, while my little sisters aren't my children, they're really interested in the hobby. One of them has a Clip and steals my DT48'S

Thats good that you have showed them the basics to this hobby.
tongue.gif
That steals your DT48's lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back