What do your kids think of Audiophilia/What got you into Audiophilia?
Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 139
Im 15 and i was about to submit to peer pressure and get the beats when I noticed the mass of not so great reviews out on the interweb. I finally decided on grado sr80i as my first good headphones, as soon as i heard those i wanted good earbuds to go with them. I worked to get enough money and ordered Fischer Audio DBA-02 which im still waiting for
confused_face_2.gif
. I just ordered a set of ATH m50's which i am eagerly waiting for. I have managed to attract the interest of several of my friends to better quality headphones than beats/skullcandy.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #17 of 139

Quote:
Wow...i see many young head-fi'ers here. 
Since im a kid, my dad used to wear headphones. I always been exposed to that stuff. 

For me it's the opposite. I wish I could get my parents involved with this stuff. My dad seems happy with his Memorex (yes, I said Memorex!) earbuds my mom got him for his birthday. I tried and and removed them in about 3 seconds. I guess I'll just have to buy him a nice pair myself.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #18 of 139
I am 16, so no kid, but nevertheless, I will comment here anyway.

My first cans (May of '09) were ATH-AD700. I got off head-fi and returned November that year and began lightly posting again, whilst researching some gear to buy. Throughout the rest of 2009 (still 15, bday 21st of May), I purchased SR-225, ALO-780, Westone UM3X, Walkman X1060, iPod Touch 3rd gen 32gb, Zero DAC/Amp, Sony CDP (can't remember model, but cost $50 from ebay), Qinpu A3, RSA P51 Mustang and Fiio E5 amplifier (as well as some decent interconnects). This year I have purchased Grado HF-2, MAD Ear+ HD, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, DT880 600ohm stock, M^3 amp, HLLY T-Amp 20, some $80 DAC from ebay for speakers, ESI nEar 05 and custom made 40cm RCA cables (Nordost Valkyrja with Eichmann silver bullets). 

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 139
19 myself. Can't wait till I actually have an income to splurge on cans

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 139
^Evidently someone missed being a teenager with no financial obligations. XD

It is scary sitting back and figuring how much I've spent on my setup. And to think I started into full sized cans in September. I think I am done once I get a new DAC though.

But...I will beat audiophilia into my future children. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #22 of 139

Quote:
^Evidently someone missed being a teenager with no financial obligations. XD

It is scary sitting back and figuring how much I've spent on my setup. And to think I started into full sized cans in September. I think I am done once I get a new DAC though.

But...I will beat audiophilia into my future children. 

deadhorse.gif
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #23 of 139
Funy that the TS mentioned kids asking about his Magneplanars, that's exactly how I was introduced into the world of audiophila by my dad.  Pops always had his MG-1's running off of PS Audio amps, hell he even spent a half hour showing me why his Nakamichi CD player was better than the POS Sony my bro bought.  Then again, I never met many audiophiles that used Mags for progressive rock, always thought audiophiles were only into jazz/classical...this site really changed my view on that.

With that said, my son recently bought his first $30 pair of headphones which were a step up from what he was used to but he felt a little cheated (they were Sony's after-all)so I let him borrow my Technics DJ1200's a couple weeks ago...haven't seen em since :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 139
Same here, I'm 15 and I have a Fiio E9 and a pair of AKG-K240 Studio cans. I also have a good bit (no pun intended) of FLAC audio.
o2smile.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 139
Pretty much started when I was around 12. I bought myself a half decent pair of AT clip on. I was totally annoyed when it broke a few year later on a flight while I was sleeping. Since then I never stop look for better headphones as I can't afford decent speaker. My dad is a speaker person, I am the opposite.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #26 of 139
I am 16, so no kid, but nevertheless, I will comment here anyway.

What in the hell... how did you manage to get the money to afford all that stuff?
17 over here, haven't been able to get a job and I can barely manage to save enough for the HD555s. ;_; Currently trying to save up for a pair of HFI-780s.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 139
I started my audio quest thanks to my dad, who had quite a substantial vinyl/CD/tape/FM rig consisting of his original turntable which he got some time in the '70s, a massive fm receiver, 5 disk cd deck, and I think a Denon amp/dac into four (2 upstairs, 2 in the kitchen) '80s bookshelf speakers. I wish I knew all of the specifics, but this is the set up I was listening to throughout my childhood. On school days he would wake us (his kids) up to the vinyl of "Time" by Pink Floyd. I hope to give my kids the same opportunity to enjoy music (and I hope they enjoy it as much as I do). Too bad my contemporary artists and master engineers can't match the likes of his.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 139
I'm only 20 and I've managed to attain the stuff in my signature within the past year.  Hopefully make an order for an HE-6 by the end of the week.

Some young audiophiles have a lot more cash these days.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 139
Sheeze you kids are rich. I'm 18 in college and could barely afford a pair of Grado SR60i's and a clip+! To contribute I have my brother to thank (or blame) for my audiophilia introduction. He bought some nice headphones when I was 13, forgot the name, then he moved up to his hje900's and let me listen to them a lot....then the person moved out and left me without anything for a whole 3 years!

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 139
Yeah... college is destroying any amount of money I can squander. I've been using my spare money on either computers or headphones. I just bought a pair of headphones and an amp and I'm down to only $20 left in my bank account XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back