What do you use to clean your tips ?
Mar 1, 2005 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

XP_98

500+ Head-Fier
Hello

I have E3s since a couple of days, and for the moment, the white Shure triple flange (with shortened stem) give me the best sound and isolation.

I'd like to know :

- what do you use to clean your tips ?

- and how do you do it ?

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Is there a cheaper solution than buying "alchohol-wipes, from a pharmacy" ?

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 15
i clean my ety tri-flanges with soap and water; usually dishwashing liquid but sometimes hand soap.

i just rub them real good with my fingers, rinse them, and let them air dry overnight on a paper towel. i try to do it once every two weeks, but it ends up being more like once a month.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Thank you for your answers.
Besides the price, I thought too that alcoohol might be aggressive for latex...

Another question : did you notice after a while that this frequent removing of the tips would make them weaker, holding less on the shure E3's plastic "stem" ? Or doesn't it affect the holding at all ?

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Hydrogen Peroxide. This stuff is awesome.

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Hydrogen Peroxide. This stuff is awesome.

No risk of wearing out ?

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Nope. I use straight Hydrogen Peroxide and just soak them for a couple hours. Doesn't wear anything out, on the contrary, they're like brand new when they come out.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Latex -> used for medical exam gloves / surgical gloves
Alcohol -> used extensively by nurses and other medical professionals while wearing latex gloves

Does alcohol destroy latex? Unlikely.

But any of the methods mentioned here should serve you well, use your own discretion/preferences.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Latex -> used for medical exam gloves / surgical gloves
Alcohol -> used extensively by nurses and other medical professionals while wearing latex gloves

Right, but... used only once ! Nurses and other medical professionnal never use their glove two days... so durability doesn't matter !

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
In a concentration of less than 50%, I hope.

I'm thinking they both obtained the H[size=xx-small]2[/size]O[size=xx-small]2[/size] from a drugstore, which would most likely place the concentration between 3% and 5%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XP_98
Is there a cheaper solution than buying "alchohol-wipes, from a pharmacy" ?

You could simply buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol, that would probably be much more cost effective.

I would think that soap and water would work just fine for normal cleaning though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back