What do you think of Spotify?
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #16 of 78

Quote:
The ads are visual in the app. I don't believe they are audio. At least, I hadn't heard any.

So far my issue is that the only way to find new music is either to try out someone's published playlist or have friends recommend it to you via the app. Which does me no good at all. Maybe I'll try Pandora as Spotify doesn't seem to be the answer. People are saying it's the solution to digital music but I think it's missing one big part. There doesn't seem to be a solution for people like me, who don't know that many people who's music tastes are anywhere close to theirs (most of my friends prefer top 40's rubbish) so recommendations like that aren't going to help. And I don't know who to follow for good ones.

If someone could implement something like Pandora into Spotify it'd be perfect. But unless I'm mistaken (and I really, really want to be) it's not.

That and streaming on mobiles is only handy if you don't use subways so I'm still going to keep most of my music on my iPod.

For music recommendation I have it scrobble what I play to last.fm (I think it only scrobbles the tracks that you finish listening too) then I use http://spotibot.com/ to generate a playlist based on what I listen too. I know it's a hassle, but the results are better than what I've gotten from Pandora.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #17 of 78

Quote:
Can you send people invites? I used the Lifehacker.com method to get myself an account. So far I'm not seeing how it's different from Rio, I thought it was more like Pandora in that it could recommend music to you (which is what I really want).

what i think its great for is if you read about a recomendation or hear about something then boom punch it int spotify and you can hear it and see what you make of it.  if you like it you can buy if you dont, well you dont.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 78
I like it , the only thing that i dont like is that you have to pay since this month here in spain..
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 78
Alright, today at 10am, I installed the spotify app on my droid (it said you needed to be subscribed to premium services (which I am) to use it) I loaded it and started searching for albums, it has good selection, but I don't see any internet radio functionality, no station caching, none of the radio features at all, which, if you are someone looking for new music, sucks! Slacker Premium is like Pandora and Spotify combined, so I consider Slacker premium to be superior, but I'm going to stay subscribed to both premium services, There is one thing though, at work I connect to WI-FI, for the faster speeds, and listen to slacker premium from 8am to 6pm and my battery at the end of the day (I charge it every night) is 40%-60% but I connected to Spotify at 10am and by 2pm (4 hours later) my battery was at 15% and my alarm went off, Spotify ate my battery! And I keep my Droid Clean, lean, and mean, it's fast (I know multiple people whos Iphones' stall at the unlock screen). I plan on getting an Iphone 5 (if it sucks I'll sell it and get a Droid 3) hopefully it will do better with spotify than my Droid 1

I have an Itouch 4th 8gb, I wonder if I could fill it up completely with Slacker and Spotify audio, it would be a cloud pod.... yes! And with the Cached slacker stations, pure epicness.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 78
Holy Crap indeed! I just installed the Desktop program for Spotify, WOW!!! Still no internet radio so Slacker is very safe, but WOW! It is like someone jailbroke Itunes itself!!!!

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #25 of 78

Quote:
it just plays stuff itself and you have a variety of options to tailor what gets played.  i dont really ever use it though.

I did some Googling and it seems a bit like what Pandora does.

Upon further Googling, it was something listed for the Premium account in the US but has since been removed. Why? They're not offering it over here. They may in the future but they haven't said so it's just as likely that they never will.

The combination of Spotify for listening and Last.fm for recommendations seems to be a good one. So far it seems I can get away without paying for a Last.fm account and just use it for recommending music to find in Spotify.

Lifehacker (as always) has a list of tools, apps and websites you can couple with Spotify for better results on a variety of things:
http://lifehacker.com/5821396/the-essential-spotify-tools

I'm looking forward to playing with the music recommendations.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 78

Hey Now,

I have been listening to Spotify for about 20 minutes now and have heard 3 adverts so far. It kind of kills the mood. Two have been about getting the premium service and one was for an artist's album. 

So far searching for some albums, I find it is pretty good. You can listen and then save the albums to a playlist. 

The Spotify app on my iPad loaded up the playlists I made on the desktop app and my iTunes playlists.  It is taking a heck of a long time to load these playlists. I wonder if they are going to load each time? If so, might be better not to have playlists? Are the playlists for listening offline?

Some answers:
I can't stream my playlist on my iPad unless I am a premium subscriber. I have to synch it with my desktop app to my iPad to listen to it offline.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. Yeah the adverts suck, definitely kills the listening mood.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 78

Quote:
I have slacker premium, completely blew my mind how awesome it is, do you remember a few years back when they said people would own no music and just pay to use it? That is close to what slacker premium is, it is incredible, epic, awesome, and getting better all the time. I have Pandora one, and I'm gonna let it rot, for Slacker really out did themselves this time.....

^^ I should mention, Slacker lets you cache stations, and slacker premium lets you play albums (selection is decent and growing) artists, on demand, lets you create playlists with music YOU DON'T OWN and load it on your device, for playback at your leisure, without an internet connection (PERFECT for Itouches, subway riders) why people are still using Pandora is beyond me (slacker has better music too, pandora plays weird remixes and stuff without telling you)
I'm on spotify's website... they mention nothing about radio... you have to pay with paypal or a debit card, what a pain in the @$$, slacker just gets added to my phone bill...

Without bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson it's lacking for me.  I assume it's also missing Zappa which would make it worth even less to me.  I've discovered a lot of great music on Pandora although I don't listen to it a lot since I own 3500 albums.  I've been using MOG lately because I can download albums to see if they're worth buying.  It's kept me from buying albums that sounded interesting in a write up, but not when I actually listened to them.  It's also made me order an album after only listening to half of it. 

I've signed up for an invite, but I won't pay for premium until I see if it will be useful for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back