What do you think is Slash' greatest guitar moment?
Jun 12, 2004 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not really a fan of rock and roll, and im not an expert in musical instruments too...
but ive read from so many magazines, Slash is always highly praised, having this unique guitar skills that not so many guitarists from other bands can perform it.

as you know, Slash is now in Velvet Revolver, and when i read the review of the album, he is mentioned again... showing his superb skills in the album.

I am not a musician, so i dont know which part is hard to perform... If anyone here listen to Guns n Roses or something, maybe you can let me know, for example, in which song, and which moment, Slash is performing his superb, not-so-many-guitarist-can-do-it, skill?

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 15
The GnR moment that I best remember is the guitar solo from "November Rain." I know very few people who can refrain from doing air guitar while that one plays. Whether that counts as something nobody else can do, I'm not sure. But it's what I'm most reminded of when I think of Slash.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 15
BTW.......Slash & Duff are live right now (9pm EST) on FUSE network IMX program promoting Velvet Revolver and chatting with thier peeps
cool.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 15
I think the song "Estranged" is the best guitar work he ever did.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 15
The november rain solo is probably his most famous solo. I'm not a very good guitarist, but in terms of technical difficulty, it doesn't seem terribly hard. What makes that solo special is the sound he created and just the overall style of it.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 15
The guitar solo at about 1:45 in "Mr. Brownstone" from Appetite for Destruction

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 15
His Godfather solo at the G&R Tokyo Live. Also his Paradise City performance is very consistent even at the live performance while he runs like crazy. I've been to couple of their concerts back in late 80's
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 15
My personal favorite is definitely November Rain, the music video being my favorite way of experiencing it. There's something about seeing Slash do that solo while standing out in front of that church in the middle of the desert, it just looks so damn cool.

I picked up an mp3 of them performing the Godfather Theme live over five years ago, and I still enjoy it to this day. It's definitely got a great solo going in it as well.

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 15
I can't believe none you guys mentioned his solo in 'Sweet Child O' Mine' .
Definately my favorite !!
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
I can't believe none you guys mentioned his solo in 'Sweet Child O' Mine' . Definately my favorite !!
biggrin.gif

Hell yes........my vote goes to "sweet child" also. What a commanding performance, all kinds of unique breaks and transitions that run the entire gamut from beautiful mid tempo reflective sadness to the soaring breakaway center solo all done with effortless facility. This is one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded!

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
I can't believe none you guys mentioned his solo in 'Sweet Child O' Mine' .
Definately my favorite !!
biggrin.gif

Damn right! "Sweet Child O' Mine" is the Guns n Roses song, the song is just so right, everything just clicks. The opening simple yet incredibly cool sounding and catchy, the solos go from being a nice fill between verses to being the centerpiece of the song.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
is that november rain's moment very hard to play ? im not a guitarist, so i dont know..

Technical skill is not an issue, but playing that kind of "hard driving" solo in a ballad is quite an extraordinally musical skill.
Moreover, watch how wide his legs are spread while playing in front of the church. That's ROCK.
cool.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 15
I think it must be the solo in the "Terminator Song" when the Governor gives him the "hasta la vista"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back