What do you say to the skeptics?
Apr 27, 2006 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure plenty of you have been in this boat:

Explaining to family members what a headphone amplifier even is and why you need/want one, especially when they see you already own fairly nice gear, like I do.

What say you?
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by $qwuzzy
i don't. i used to try and it never worked.

LOL, I see the appeal very quickly on that approach.

It's fun you get to begin by explaining what a headphone amp even IS, and why (supposedly
wink.gif
) the headphone jack they see on your $1000 or so receiver isn't "good enough."

wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 49
I never volunteer information. When asked, I say it makes it sound better, but don't volunteer price. When asked why I need so much stuff for better sound, I tell them about how I have 4 kids at home, and the office is the only place I can listen to music. Then they ask for advice on what headphones to buy, and I recommend ksc75s or SR225s.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 49
I gave up trying, at least with most of my friends. My family members haven't really seen most of my gears since they live fairly far away.

I haven't really had to explain it to my girlfriend as she already thinks I'm insane. She's just glad that I finally got around to getting a pair of speakers.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I gave up trying, at least with most of my friends. My family members haven't really seen most of my gears since they live fairly far away.

I haven't really had to explain it to my girlfriend as she already thinks I'm insane. She's just glad that I finally got around to getting a pair of speakers.

There goes the excuse for having to get a second rig for her when she comes over
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 49
I don't. I have one friend who insists that bose is the best, and backs it up with "ferrari's (or some other type of nice car, I don't remember) use it". He also insists that an amp is ridiculous, and that my HD650 sounds just fine out of my ipod. He also says that "burning in" is crazy, and all it does is waste electricity and ruin the headphones. He also insists that monster cable is the absolute best brand of cable you can get. To top it off, he's one of those know-it-alls who will simply refuse to listen to anything you try to explain to them about good brands and what an amp is, etc... He says I'm ignorant. I personally don't care, less people asking to listen to my headphones.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
There goes the excuse for having to get a second rig for her when she comes over
wink.gif

I don't need no excuse, darn it!
evil_smiley.gif

Besides, all I really need is another source to set up a second rig.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 49
When asked about it, I usually give two reasons. The first is that the line-out on my gear typically sounds better than the headphone out on just about every headphone I've used, which means right there I'd need amplification to use it. The second is that "big" headphones need amplification to perform as designed, since the headphone out on many devices is built with much less demanding headphones in mind. I don't really bother trying to justify the spending for the most part, but if someone asks me about it, I'll usually give some variant of those two reasons simply to satisfy curiosity as it doesn't take much time or effort to do it.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 49
I hide all my gear from the wife. She has no idea that I have anything other than the cheap buds and the Rio Cali.
tongue.gif

Like they say....ignorance is bliss or is it....what she doesn't know won't get me killed!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
what she doesn't know won't get me killed!
biggrin.gif

Until she finds it all one day while looking around the house for some item she lost, or something of that sort :p

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

I hide all my gear from the wife. She has no idea that I have anything other than the cheap buds and the Rio Cali.
tongue.gif

Like they say....ignorance is bliss or is it....what she doesn't know won't get me killed!
biggrin.gif

What do you do, Ken, lock the door to your listening room? Looking at you sig, methinks it would be mighty difficult to hide all those gears from your wife.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 49
Nah, I keep her locked up.
tongue.gif
Kidding of course.

Actually, I "hide" it in plain view. To her, the gear all looks the same. VCR...headphone amp...doesn't really matter as it's all "electrical junk"and of little interest to her. Hey, she doesn't ask and I don't tell.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Actually, I "hide" it in plain view. To her, the gear all looks the same. VCR...headphone amp...doesn't really matter as it's all "electrical junk"and of little interest to her. Hey, she doesn't ask and I don't tell.

Clearly the best strategy. I also use my wife's lack of interest to my advantage.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back