What Do You Regret Not Doing/Doing In College?
Aug 2, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

SilentSKR

New Head-Fier
I'm about to go to College and I'm pretty excited to have a brand new reputation (not that there's anything wrong with this one :p, but starting fresh always feels good)

What do you wish you did more of in College? Wish you prepared for something more?

I mean mostly on the social side btw, not the studies.

Saw this on another forum, but I'm in the same situation. Love to see the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 61
I only have one regret, that I didn't go to enough class in my first year. Don't miss class, it doesn't help anything.

Just make sure you can take advantage of everything you've got on your campus, many schools offer things you wouldn't think about. My school has a health and wellness center with free tea and chapstick right in the student union that barely anybody knows about. Every friday there's free poker with food and prizes. Go to parties if that's your thing but don't slack off. If your school has a personalized section of their website that has news updates and information make sure to put it in your favorites and keep an eye on it.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 61
I'm not done with college (going into my second year), but as of now, I wish I was more social, and took more chances to try out new things (alcohol and drugs definitely not on the list though).

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 61
I find it strange that you registered today just to post this.

Anyways, I guess someday I'll regret not getting into the "college spirit". Don't do parties, meetings, hook-ups; I commute and would rather not spend a minute more on campus than I have to. The funny thing is I'm much more popular and social than I ever was in high school. Other students regularly approach me for conversation, even my professors enjoy my company. I like college, it's better than sitting at home doing jack, but I guess my experiences in lower education have jaded me.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 61
Take an overseas study program. There were several available and I should have gone away for a semester. I was happy enough staying on campus and had plenty of fun, but now that I've traveled a bit, I wish I had taken the chance to live overseas for a few months.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 61
Going on more trips with my friends. Your college town is great but getting a good group of folks together and road tripping it is the best.

I remember leaving New Orleans, LA at 5:00 pm and driving straight to Bowling Green, OH to make it in time for a 9:00 am presentation... that I wrote in the car.

My other big regret is not being as into headphones back then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 61
I'm in my last year of college and wish I had taken gone to more of the free concerts and comedians that the student programming committee offers. I mean... it's free! I joined a fraternity my freshman year, and if that's your thing (or are even curious about it,) at least rush. It's not all about alcohol and parties. The tradition, inter-fraternity events (sports/community service/fundraisers), and friendships are something I'll always remember.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 61
I wish I had spent less time on classes - for the rest of my life, no one will care about my 3.94 GPA, but social connections can have long-lasting benefits.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take an overseas study program. There were several available and I should have gone away for a semester. I was happy enough staying on campus and had plenty of fun, but now that I've traveled a bit, I wish I had taken the chance to live overseas for a few months.

Also keep in mind that there are study abroad programs in the summer. I just completed a summer neuroscience study abroad program in Paris. It was amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember leaving New Orleans, LA at 5:00 pm and driving straight to Bowling Green, OH to make it in time for a 9:00 am presentation... that I wrote in the car.

That's up by me (BGSU), I'll actually be driving through there to pick up some friends on my way to Lollapalooza
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not partying enough
not studying enough

what did you actually do in college
confused_face(1).gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 61
Make sure you get right into the swing of things and out meeting new people. I did and I haven't regretted one second so far. Study to do well and excel in what you want to do but don't let studying run your life all the time. It's maybe half of what college is really about.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 61
What I regret about college? Not going to class for 2 years... having 4 semesters with a gpa 1.5 points lower than the first 2 and the last 2 is kinda sickening lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back