What do you guys listen to?
Aug 24, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

K-MONEY

Banned for flipping
I notice 95% of the people on here like flat/lifeless sounding headphones...so that made me wonder what you guys listen to.

I listen to mostly everything. No, I don't do jazz, classical and any of that monkey crap.

I go hard for eminem, hollywood undead, jay-z, t.i., linkin park, 50 cent, toby mac, john mayer, green day, etc...you get the point right? very broad line up here; almost every genre. am i the only new generation on this forum or are there others of the same kind here with me? I mean from the way I see it, it seems to me that most of the people on here are like well into there 40s and 50s...
only endorsing certain types of headphones, amps, etc...come to think of it, a newbie bites into what you guys recommend him and all of the sudden he's like, "what the hell?" Not that I was ever a victim, but I have tried many headphones of which many of you recommend from time to time.

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 90

Quote:
I notice 95% of the people on here like flat/lifeless sounding headphones...so that made me wonder what you guys listen to.

I listen to mostly everything. No, I don't do jazz, classical and any of that monkey crap.

I go hard for eminem, hollywood undead, jay-z, t.i., linkin park, 50 cent, toby mac, john mayer, green day, etc...you get the point right? very broad line up here; almost every genre. am i the only new generation on this forum or are there others of the same kind here with me? I mean from the way I see it, it seems to me that most of the people on here are like well into there 40s and 50s...
only endorsing certain types of headphones, amps, etc...come to think of it, a newbie bites into what you guys recommend him and all of the sudden he's like, "what the hell?" Not that I was ever a victim, but I have tried many headphones of which many of you recommend from time to time.

evil_smiley.gif

Wow. You are a terrible person. I won't flame on you because I haven't the authority but...
That is a wide range? Hah! I like Eminem too, that and Mozart, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, NWA, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Aphex Twin, Guster, Nine Inch Nails, Sex Pistols, Violent Femmes, Beatles, Chuck Berry, Metallica, and then some. Most of what you listed is trash (IMO) but that is what music is, opinions. Just because you don't like Bach does not mean I should be pissed at you. Also, I am sorry nobody on here endorses Skullcandy. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way, I am of the new generation as well. 

In case you are a troll I will redact all of this (in my mind).

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 90
oh no no I'm not trolling at any expense...you can call what I listen to trash, but you shouldn't call something that requires real talent trash if you look at it and can't do it yourself. Look, I can name all of what I listen to but that will take quite a while. Besides, I listen to a variety of different artists, not just what I named...many of which are similar in sound alike, but also many of which are way different; each artist expressing a different emotion in a different tone.

But I was being honest with what I said about the people here...I mean that's what it quite honestly feels like right now.

Skullcandy? You think I ever owned one or listened to one? THE DAY.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 90

Quote:
oh no no I'm not trolling at any expense...you can call what I listen to trash, but you shouldn't call something that requires real talent trash if you look at it and can't do it yourself. Look, I can name all of what I listen to but that will takes quite a while. Besides, I listen to a variety of different artists, not just what I named...many of which are similar in sound like, but also many of which are way different; each artist expressing a different emotion in a different tone.

But I was being honest with what I said about the people here...I mean that's what it quite honestly feels like right now.

Skullcandy? You think I ever owned one or listened to one? THE DAY.

Hey, hey, hey. No need to get defensive. I am not saying your music is trash per se, I am just not a big fan. I understand how difficult it is to make music, but I just prefer the older artists to the newer. I mean find me a modern day equivalent to Nirvana. It is an impossible task. They were great then, they will be great forever. I just don't feel as though many artists today (with exceptions) have the same kind of uniqueness. I am not trying to offend you, I am also open minded to music, all I am trying to get across is that music preferences cannot be good or bad (unless you like Disturbed, blegh). It is just an opinion. I can't make fun of you if you like blueberry Poptarts more than chocolate chip Poptarts, can I?
If you feel people are closed minded, just let them be. Don't intervene, that is what liberals are for. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 90
I like Metallica, Danzig, Iron Maiden, ect. 80s and 90s stuff. I've noticed that a lot of Head-Fiers listen to "Massive Attack" (never heard them). I'm 14 if it matters. Why is it that younger people tend to prefer warm (like bassy) sound signature anyways? (and vice versa for older people) I've always wondered.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 90
I listen to almost exclusively progressive rock with some classical, jazz (I play jazz trombone), and indie rock thrown in.

Yes, VDGG, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, King Crimson, Anglagard, Wagner, Chopin, and Ellington.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 90

Quote:
I like Metallica, Danzig, Iron Maiden, ect. 80s and 90s stuff. I've noticed that a lot of Head-Fiers listen to "Massive Attack" (never heard them). I'm 14 if it matters. Why is it that younger people tend to prefer warm (like bassy) sound signature anyways? (and vice versa for older people) I've always wondered.

I think a lot of newer more modern material is more bass centric and requires that oomph.  Newer popular music is also horribly mastered by deaf idiots so warmer phones are better at expanding your content selection by hiding the flaws.  

I listen to every genre as long as its good music I don't care who made it.  I do have personal gripes w/ U2 (Bono rather), the Dixie Chicks and Paul McCartney but that has nothing to do w/ music, lol.  

If anyone knows some incredibly well mastered classical and opera let me know.  Most classical masters are lifeless and lacking dynamic range to my ears.  Nothing like a real classical performance.  

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 90

Quote:
I think a lot of newer more modern material is more bass centric and requires that oomph.  Newer popular music is also horribly mastered by deaf idiots so warmer phones are better at expanding your content selection by hiding the flaws.  

I listen to every genre as long as its good music I don't care who made it.  I do have personal gripes w/ U2 (Bono rather), the Dixie Chicks and Paul McCartney but that has nothing to do w/ music, lol.  

If anyone knows some incredibly well mastered classical and opera let me know.  Most classical masters are lifeless and lacking dynamic range to my ears.  Nothing like a real classical performance.  

I sense you have trouble with their political beliefs? *gasp*

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 90

[size=medium]
Hey. Yes there is a lot of really good classical music out there!  Ólafur Arnalds - Ljósið
http://vimeo.com/6045312

Anaxilus is right though...I'm a Generation Z and love any kind of music. Only thing I can't stand is metal, but that's for another day, lol.

Owl City is one of my favs 
biggrin.gif

btw, anyone know of any software which replaces lower bitrate music with higher bitrate music? Or is this just a fantasy...
[/size]

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 90

Quote:
I listen to almost exclusively progressive rock with some classical, jazz (I play jazz trombone), and indie rock thrown in.

Yes, VDGG, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, King Crimson, Anglagard, Wagner, Chopin, and Ellington.

I'm with logwed. A big progressive rock lover. I am probably old on the eyes of the OP, but at 33 I do not see myself as a grandpa just yet.
My roots are in metal and in my teens I was a huge thrash metal fan (Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Heathen, Megadeth, Metallica). I was also into stuff like US power metal (Sanctuary, Nevermore, Vicious Rumors). Later I have started liking progressive metal (Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz, Power of Omens, Queensryche) and some death metal (Death, Cynic, Carcass).
I discovered 70ies progressive rock and that made me wish that I was born 20 years earlier... Genesis, Gentle Giant, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Babylon, Cathedral (not the British doom metal band), Yezda Urfa, Happy the Man and so on...
I also listen to some pop like Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Vyktoria Pratt Keating and some jazz like Thelonious Monk.

I agree with Anaxilus that most modern music is not mastered very well (to put it lightely). Compare a Metallica album such as Ride the Lightning from 1984 to Death Magnetic or a Rush album from the seventies to Vapor trails. Almost completely devoid of any dynamics. Often just a wall of noise...

I do like some bass when I listen to music on my DAP:s with headphones, so most often I EQ them a bit. Perhaps that has got to do with playing guitar in a metal band for many years and being used to hearing AND feeling the bass in the rehearsal room...

Anyway, as long as the music is heavy/swings and has not been close to a Billboards list I am happy (well, Tori Amos and Metallica might be an exception to that...).

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 90

Quote:

[size=medium]
Hey. Yes there is a lot of really good classical music out there!  Ólafur Arnalds - Ljósið

Anaxilus is right though...I'm a Generation Z and love any kind of music. Only thing I can't stand is metal, but that's for another day, lol.

biggrin.gif

btw, anyone know of any software which replaces lower bitrate music with higher bitrate music? Or is this just a fantasy...
[/size]

Ahh...thx for that!  The violins sound great!  I can almost feel the rosin dusting off.  The piano I think needs some work w/ the mics perhaps.  A bit muffled.  Damn good violin recording geez.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 90

Quote:

[size=medium]

biggrin.gif

[/size]

You could upconvert but that does nothing to the actual sound quality, thus a fantasy. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 90
I'm 20, so I'm assuming I'm still young enough to be part of the "new" generation. Right now my most played album is probably Chris Brown and Tyga's mix tape Fan of a Fan, followed by J. Cole's Warm Up. I also listen to a lot of Lil' Wayne, Jay Z, Kanye West, Mariana's Trench, Blink 182, Jason Mraz, and some random top 40 artists. Once in a while I'll listen to some old bands like ACDC, Guns n Roses, Journey, Metallica, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back