What do you do about a bad pressing?
Apr 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Hey folks!

I'm relatively new to Vinyl, but I've unfortunately discovered a nasty flaw that exists in any current copy of the re-issue of Radiohead's Kid A that I can find.

There's really nasty static on the Optimistic side of the second disc, and three copies I've heard have it. It's clearly not something I can get rid of by swapping copies.

So, what do I do? The thing says Audiophile on the front, and I'm very much inclined to call up the company and demand that they adhere to what they're advertising... especially since it's my favorite song on my favorite album that has this issue.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 14
I have always had bad luck with the Radiohead re-issues
angry_face.gif
. They're crap.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Bummer. The OK Computer re-issue I have is passable, but it simply doesn't have the quality of the other records I've bought. Real shame... especially since I have re-issues of Drill and some other one coming from Amazon tomorrow. Good thing they were only $5 each. 

Probably wouldn't ever have a copy of Drill if there wasn't a re-issue though. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 14
If they were standard 1xLPs, not heavyweight, and not advertised as "Audiophile Quality!1!!!!11", I wouldn't be as upset.

It probably has something to do with their "audiophile" manufacturing process.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Well it's just absurd that the "non-audiphile" thinner record I bought at the same time (Portishead Third) sounds infinitely better than either of the Radiohead ones. 

I won't return my copy of either to the shop I bought from since it's a little mom and pop, but I really kind of wish I could mail them directly to Capitol with a post it note tacked on that says "You Blew It."

Quote:
If they were standard 1xLPs, not heavyweight, and not advertised as "Audiophile Quality!1!!!!11", I wouldn't be as upset.

It probably has something to do with their "audiophile" manufacturing process.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 14
It's better to buy vintage vinyl. Back then, they were pressing millions of disks and they knew what they were doing. Anything pre 1972 is going to sound great if it's in good condition.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 14
I don't know why you'd get into vinyl then. The main reason to collect records is for the wealth of titles that have never made it to CD. If something was originally recorded digitally, it is going to sound best on CD. Buying LPs of recent music is a waste.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I don't know why you'd get into vinyl then. The main reason to collect records is for the wealth of titles that have never made it to CD. If something was originally recorded digitally, it is going to sound best on CD. Buying LPs of recent music is a waste.

Everybody has different reasons.

Vinyl only releases (such as MFSL)
Sometimes when the CD sounds like crap the vinyl version is an improvement
Artists like to release cool collectible vinyl versions of albums. Those are fun to own
Also I just enjoy the format itself

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 14
There's no good reason a DDA record should sound better than a DDD CD.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 14
Who records on tape? I've supervised recording sessions and I don't know any studio that maintains a 24 track recording suite any more. The 2 inch decks cost a fortune to keep in spec. Most big studios just have one for transfer.

I'm not suggesting that you should quit collecting vinyl. But I will suggest if you are committed to the format that you broaden your musical tastes to encompass music that was originally produced for LP. Listening to current digital recordings on LP is the worst of both worlds.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Who records on tape? I've supervised recording sessions and I don't know any studio that maintains a 24 track recording suite any more. The 2 inch decks cost a fortune to keep in spec. Most big studios just have one for transfer.

I'm not suggesting that you should quit collecting vinyl. But I will suggest if you are committed to the format that you broaden your musical tastes to encompass music that was originally produced for LP. Listening to current digital recordings on LP is the worst of both worlds.

I know Radiohead does. They mention it in the liner notes. Also, "Stadium Arcadium" sounds a lot better on vinyl than it does on CD. I don't know if this means it was recorded on tape, but it sounds better and that's all I really care about.

I do listen to some older stuff. Blue Note era jazz, etc... but I prefer buying new vinyl. I have never really had any problems except for these "audiophile" Capitol re-releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back