What do you call this
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Am I ambidextrous? I write left/throw right/shoot right/eat left handed/wright left handed/type left handed/But my right side is stronger.. I been using the 150lb hand grippers and can always do 10 more reps with my right hand.. It also feels more 'natural' grabbing the gripper with my right hand.. With my left it's a little awkward..

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 28
I call it confused.

Serious: Sounds like you do small and detailed motions with your left and large, athletic movements with your right. Is the hand gripper perfectly symmetrical?

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 28
I'm a little like that. I write right(tho occasionally I'll write with my left)/shoot left (can only hold my right eye closed) When I put on makeup I do the left side of my face with my left hand & the right side of my face with my right hand. I eat either way depending on if someone is sitting on either side of me.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 28
I would classify you as ambidextrous. Congrats
tongue.gif

Edit: It looks like the more accurate term is Cross-dominant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 28
I get a similar thing. I write right handed and do literally everything else with my left hand, and my left side is stronger.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 28
There are different degrees of handedness. I think the basic definiton of handedness is which hand you choose to write with. However, people are wired differently and aren't exclusive to one side. Hopefully, there's a neurologist or doctor here who can do a better job of explaining this.

For the record, I'm entirely left-dominant. I've never favored the right side for anything. The odd thing is that this seems to run in the family. I've got about ten lefties in my immediate family and in the close extended family.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 28
My first impression was that you were initially left handed but forced to become a right handed person -which I think is a relatively common case in anyone above the age of 30 (because of the way school systems were set up). But in your case, you still write with your left hand which would shoot my theory out of the water. try writing with your right and see what happens. If you can write congrats on being ambidextrous, I dunno what you can do with it, but its a pretty nice trait.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 28
I'm a little similar in my mixed up handedness.

Left handed: write, hold table tennis racket, carry a briefcase

Right handed: shoot gun, shoot pool, bat, golf

And I was not forced to write with either hand...that's just how it worked out.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I ambidextrous? I write left/throw right/shoot right/eat left handed/wright left handed/type left handed/But my right side is stronger.. I been using the 150lb hand grippers and can always do 10 more reps with my right hand.. It also feels more 'natural' grabbing the gripper with my right hand.. With my left it's a little awkward..

Perhaps you are not the Master of your Domain?

LOL, I'm sorry, my mind is in the gutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back