What do you call bass?
May 1, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheBigDu

Head-Fier
As you can see, I have a pair of A500's and I like them very much. However, the one thing I still think they could use is a little more bass. I've read a lot of reviews about different phones now, and I'm just wondering where you might say the A500 falls in terms of bass. I hear the DT770 and Ultrasones have too much bass, but a really high-ender like the CD300's may have too little. Now, I'm not looking into upgrading here; I just want to know how much bass I have verses how much I could have or how much I could be lacking. And I know that if I turn up the bass on the equalizer (which I normally don't use at all) that the A500's can put out good amounts of bass, but I just don't like using the equalizer, and I'm assuming that most real audiophiles on this site don't either. (btw, I'm not one of those audiophiles
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 1, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 14
The CD3000 has no too littel bass, where did you read that???? With the proper amp it will give you what you need....same as others, but if you still want more why not getting the PPA with bassboost.....

May 1, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I don't have an amp, just the A500's coming out of my computer.

May 1, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 14
The most realistic and powerful bass I've heard on a headphone comes from the HD650, even deeper and much tighter than the DT770 bottom end with absolutely no coloration. The CD3000 has a nice punchy bass but it rolls off abruptly to my ears leaving off the very bottom half-octave (consisting of the very lowest possible notes in music) and the bass is a little plasticky sounding (it has a weird signature).

The 650s will sound good but the sound improves with better amps, sources, and recordings.

The visceral impact with the 650 is stunning.

Cheers,
Geek

May 1, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Don't you think it's pretty obvious what your lack of bass problem comes from? As you said, the source is a Audigy. Have you tried another source? Possibly a CD deck?

May 1, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I don't have an amp, just the A500's coming out of my computer.

If you want bass, get an amp, the bass freq are the first in suffering from bad amplification, or bad sources...straight out of any jack from any portable or soundcard or CDplayer, even from ost of receivers, not being a headphone amp, you will not get the best out of any headphone....

May 1, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 14
If you like the sound of the cans, just add a little bass to make them perfect. I don't find the CD3000s lacking in bass at all, other than possibly the lowest registers from around 32Hz and under.

OBTW, stay well away from the Sennheiser line of high impedance cans without an amp. While the Senns might sound decent amped, without one it will be somewhat anemic bass wise.

May 1, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 14
You recommend that I get a better source, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. Also, I only listen to mp3's on this thing.

So I could go with the chaintech AV710 as I have been considering. But since I don't listen to CDs, there's no point to me getting a CDP, right? (I don't know if people use them as amps or something like that.)

May 1, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

You recommend that I get a better source, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. Also, I only listen to mp3's on this thing.

Again, the best bet is to stick with what you have and just add some bass boost. A lot of suggestions around these parts assume you have some money to spend. If not, go with the cheapest route. In your case this means saving up until you can afford to try out something else that is easy to drive and still sounds good using the MP3s. Anything too revealing headphone wise and you'll regret buying them big time.

May 1, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Another vote for the 650's. Their bass is the most detailed and lowest that I have heard yet out of a phone. The CD3000's is close, but it does not have quite the same range and impact as the 650's, at least without using any sort of bass boost.

May 1, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue
Another vote for the 650's. Their bass is the most detailed and lowest that I have heard yet out of a phone. The CD3000's is close, but it does not have quite the same range and impact as the 650's, at least without using any sort of bass boost.

Actually, to my ears, the CD3000 had greater impact (but not depth) than the HD650. Its just that, to some, subjectively, it will seem like the CD3000 has less bass impact because it sounds brighter.

I really am puzzled about posts on this forums claiming the CD3000's lack bass. I think people who claim this have either heard the CD3000 in a non run-in state, in a system with bad synergy, or have heard them underpowered.

May 2, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

So I could go with the chaintech AV710 as I have been considering. But since I don't listen to CDs, there's no point to me getting a CDP, right? (I don't know if people use them as amps or something like that.)

I listen only to MP3's and use the AT A500's at the moment. They have great bass so I think your problem is amplification more than anything else. I run mine from a headphone jack of a Technics receiver and if you have something similar, or can borrow one, you should give it a go to see if it improves the bass. Other than you would need to get a headphone amp because any headphone upgrade that you would want from here would require it to give you a decent level of improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back