What difference does having a good rack make?
Jun 5, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hellacious D

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what difference using a good rack would make over just putting your stuff on a 30 dollar night stand. How noticeable is this difference if at all? Is it mainly done to organize things or is the improvement is sound that great? Also, if anyone has a good article on this subject I'd love to read it.
Thanks,
Jay

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 23
I spit coke out my nose when I read the title of your post... lol.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 23
The main benefits of a good rack are:
1. Better air flow for cooling hot equipment biggest benefit over just stacking equipment on nightstand
2. Cable organization (signal away from ac power away from dc power away from speaker wire) only a benefit if you use ultra cheap unshielded cable.
3. Wife/spouse/significant other approval factor- this could go either way, some like everything organized and neat, others want it out of the way and diminutive as possible.

Those are the main benefits I can think of, I would agree with another poster that unless you are using a turntable, there probably wont be sonic benefits to a good rack (or if there is it is very very subtle).

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cisforchooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spit coke out my nose when I read the title of your post... lol.

Yeah, I thought about something else as well. A good rack is a nice thing for sure.
tongue.gif

Now for the serious part. It is supposed to matter when you are talking really high-end gear. That's when you get past the cables and ICs. Before you reach that point I wouldn't really bother. Like mentioned before, a recordplayer will benefit from a good and stable surface.

I would think about it twice before getting something like this.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I thought about something else as well. A good rack is a nice thing for sure.
tongue.gif

Now for the serious part. It is supposed to matter when you are talking really high-end gear. That's when you get past the cables and ICs. Before you reach that point I wouldn't really bother. Like mentioned before, a recordplayer will benefit from a good and stable surface.

I would think about it twice before getting something like this.

I'm using 18 of those Magix levitation feet. They are the most neutral feet I have tried. Before Magix I was using Solid-tech Feet of Silence, the rubber bands increased the bass, and the metal ball on top made it sound edgier. So the end result was bigger and more solid bass. But it sacrificed resolution in the process. Since there was less attack and decay it gave the illusion of a blacker background with more silence between bass transients. But with Magix, I'm hearing longer attack and decay, there is more information in the music, but it doesn't sound as black and white as Feet of Silence did.

What isolation feet are for you depends on how you want the music sound. I have found that cones emphasize the high frequencies, steel balls the midrange, and rubber feet the bass. You can also do mass damping which increases the bass but doesn't sacrifice as much of the highs as rubber feet do.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrenzini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a Turntable it may make some difference. Otherwise none at all.

blink.gif
That's a bold statement.
I think a flimsy, shakey rack can certainly have adverse effects on a system by introducing vibration and resonance. That said I also think there is no need to spend mega bucks on a rack. As anything I think it has a lot to do with your system. I certainly wouldn't spend $500.00 for a rack for a $500.00 system. But if I had a $200.000 system I might find it worth my while to spend 3-4 thousand on a good high quality rack system.
For the average system I think a good sturdy place to rest your gear is sufficient.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 23
I upgraded from a 20 year old wheely trolly table with wobbling joints to a generic glass rack from Argos because I needed more shelves.

Before:
rig0.JPG

After:
rig00009.jpg

Only difference I noticed was in vinyl playback, for obvious reasons.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Never mind, I clicked on this thread expecting something else.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 23
I made a DIY rack. It can be done but is some work. The commercial ones look nice but get pricey.

A rack is good for minimizing vibration. A TT needs to be stable to be at its best. The biggest difference is made with speakers. When the bass starts rumbling and vibrating the room, the rack comes into play. With headphones not so much. But it still helps.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 23
how efficient are spikes at reducing vibration? currently my lp12 is on a purpose built shelf which is perfect, but i will be moving to a flat soon, and as i will be renting, cant really go drilling holes into the walls...

i need to know if i should start planning a rack to build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back