What device do I need to compare two headphones?
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that I'm getting more then one headphone, I'd like to do comparisons between them. What do you guys use to do this? A special amp with two outputs or is there something cheaper (already have an amp, don't want to buy another one)

I've thought of quickly unplugging one headphone and plugging another while a song is playing (and juggling the head switch too) but I've read that its dangerous to plug in headphones into an amp when there's music playing? Is this true?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 12
An amplifier with two outputs are just fine. I have done that myself several times, and not run into any problems.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Well I got more replies to this in the Headphone forum so I'll continue the discussion over there.

Thanks for replying though krmathis
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 12
u can also use a Stereo splitter if the Amp doesnt have two outputs.

it costs like $2 or $5 max

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 12
^ Two amplifiers with separate volume controls. Or one amplifier, where you may need to alter volume when you change 'phones.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 12
also a SPL meter with a fixture to get the same acoustic coupling for each measurement

"by ear" level matching doesn’t come close

actually any pair of different model headphones is pretty much certain to be audibly different by established DBT frequency response thresholds even when "best fit" level matched - see Headroom's graphs

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 12
^ Two separate volume controls and a SPL meter I guess..

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say I'm comparing two different sources. How do i level match them?

I'm interested in this, too.

Do you just take the SPL meter and stick it between the two earpieces of the headphones? Can you let the headphones clamp down on the SPL meter, or do you need to keep them spread apart somehow?

Illustrations of how to do this would be keen!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back