what dap plays wma lossless?
Mar 13, 2006 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

deez

Head-Fier
i have been reading up on lossless formats for DAPs, and FLAC thru an iAudio seems inviting so far. i would like to know, however, if there are other HD based DAPs that use WMA lossless that anyone knows of.

yes, i know of apple lossless, and it could also be an option i suppose. honestly, though, i'm not thrilled with the idea of owning anything affiliated with Apple (sorry Macheads)

thanks for any input pplz
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd stay away from Apple Lossless. Why use a format that will only ever work on one make of DAP?

Can't you even use FLAC on iPods with Rockbox firmware?

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Can't you even use FLAC on iPods with Rockbox firmware?

You certainly can. Rockbox for iPod currently has performance issues (battery life, CPU utilization, etc.) but it will be a very, very nice alternative once it becomes more stable.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 13
thx for your responses. the toshiba gigabeat S looks interesting.

i haven't heard much in the way of comparison between WMA lossless and FLAC. i wonder what ppl have to say abt that....

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by deez
i haven't heard much in the way of comparison between WMA lossless and FLAC. i wonder what ppl have to say abt that....

Not much to say. One lossless file is the same as another. The amount of compression is what really matters. I hope sooner or later lossless files will be the size of mp3s!

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Always watch what you read.

PC Magazine did a review of Gateway 4GB MP3 player last year and they stated that this player does WMA lossless.

Maybe the firmware they had for review could do it, but I know for a fact that these players DO NOT play WMA lossless.

Hopes this may help anyone who was thinking of getting one on Ebay based on this erroneous article.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by deez
yes, i know of apple lossless, and it could also be an option i suppose. honestly, though, i'm not thrilled with the idea of owning anything affiliated with Apple (sorry Macheads)
biggrin.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Microsoft must have changed their policy on this very recently. I remember reading in the help file for WMP 9 that Microsoft did not support WMA Lossless on portable devices.

I guess if the Gigabeat S will finally be the first DAP to support this they must have changed their policy. Makes sense, given that all their competitors have supported some form of lossless for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back