What DAC should I get for my MS2"s
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
I’ve been thinking about a new source. I have a uDAC now and it pretty much suits my purposes. I’ve considered a dedicated amp but think that might be a little more than I need. The uDAC 2 apparently has a better amp for the headphone out than the original; and the DAC section is supposedly improved too. So that’s an option

I’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about the Audinst. Does anybody know how it compares to the uDAC 2. The other source component that’s gotten my attention is the Audio GD Sparrow. I think both the Audinst and the Sparrow use the much ballyhooed Woolfson chip. Though I don’t know why it’s supposedly better than the Sabre DAC chip that the uDAC uses.

I’m also intrigued by the Schiit Asgard as a dedicated amp to pair with the uDAC or maybe the ef2, Little Dot +1, or Darkvoice. Although I'm not real sure I want to fiddle with tubes.

I’ve read through the threads and used the search function just looking for more specific impressions I guess. I just got some MS2’s, so I’m looking for something that synergizes well with them. Something that could warm them up a skosh and make the presentation just a wee bit warmer.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 10
I called Pacific Valve up today to get some information on the Sparrow and the sales guy I talked to told me I should get a Musiland monitor first. It appears I have some research to do to get up to speed on how USB audio actually works. ASIO, kernel streaming, etc. I'm such a noob. When I bought my uDAC I just wanted something that would improve the headphone out on my computer and it does that. I just got some MS2's  though and they sound better plugged into my Sansa Clip than they do the uDAC.

I'm sure all this stuff is scattered around in here, and I'm going to go look, but if anyone has any thoughts they would like to share I would appreciate it.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
I called Pacific Valve up today to get some information on the Sparrow and the sales guy I talked to told me I should get a Musiland monitor first.

Does PV sell the Musiland also?  Great salesman...lol

There are large threads on the gear you are interested in.  What exactly are you looking for?  AMP & DAC package, standalone amp to go with your uDac?

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Does PV sell the Musiland also?  Great salesman...lol

There are large threads on the gear you are interested in.  What exactly are you looking for?  AMP & DAC package, standalone amp to go with your uDac?

Yeah, he recommended the basic Sparrow too which from what I understand uses a different DAC chip (not the Woolfson) though I could be wrong. Right now I'm not sure what I want. Basically I just want something that I can plug into my computer that makes my headphones sound good.

I think what I want is a DAC with a good headphone amp. The Sparrow seems to fit that bill. I need to figure this ASIO stuff out too though probably before I do anything.

Edit: What's the difference between SPDIF with ASIO drivers in the Musiland and the SPDIF out of the uDAC?

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Don't worry about the SPDIF out from the uDac for now.  It is to be used as a usb to spdif converter.  I have the uDac as well.  I use the SPDIF out to connect to another DAC that I'm not too keen on its usb implementation.

ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, all a piece of cake.  Bit-perfect output.  Like riding a bike.

No worries..... Get a budget going and take it from there.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Don't worry about the SPDIF out from the uDac for now.  It is to be used as usb to spdif converter.  I have the uDac as well.  I use the SPDIF out to connect to another DAC that I'm not too keen on its usb implementation.

ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, all a piece of cake.  Bit-perfect output.  Like riding a bike.

No worries..... Get a budget going and take it from there.

OK so if  I like the Sparrow would I be better off with the basic and using the uDAC as an SPDIF converter or get the upgraded Sparrow and ditch the uDAC?

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
OK so if  I like the Sparrow would I be better off with the basic and using the uDAC as an SPDIF converter or get the upgraded Sparrow and ditch the uDAC?

Not necessary.  The Sparrow has usb in.  Example-  I have a DAC that does not have USB input, but would like to listen to it with a computer.  I would use the uDac as an spdif converter to make this happen.----Plug the uDac into the PC (usb), plug a coax (spdif) cable into the uDac's spdif out then plug the same cable into my DAC's coax (spdif) input.....Voila, I can listen to music from my PC with my DAC that does not have usb.  The uDac has become my usb-to spdif converter.

Other DACs with this option- DacMagic, Matrix Mini-i etc.

Hope this helps

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for your help HeatFan, I thought the basic sparrow didnt have USB for some reason. I should have just stayed with original title and premise of the thread but the Pacific Valve sales guy messed me up. Basically all I'm looking for is a DAC with a nice headphone amp as part of it's deal. Something that will synergize with MS2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back