What connecter should I use?
Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Imaweasal

New Head-Fier
Just recently, I re-cabled my sennheiser HD 428's (not required, purely cosmetic) and would like to have removable/exchangeable cables. I was wondering what type of connector I should use on the ear-cup side of the cable. I'm leaning toward a small MOLEX type connector or a 2.5mm stereo plug, but was wondering if there was a better/easier way to do this.

Thanks,

--Edwin

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 8
lemo 00 series. they are locking, where molex will become loose in notime and the plating is usually only rated for a small number of uses

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 8
you could use miniature xlr's made by switch craft, they're locking and would allow you to do a 4 pin connection that way you could make them balanced later, if you so desired.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Hehe. LEMO connectors are great, but they will cost more than those headphones.

incorrect, the 2 pin lemo plastic series are about 12-15 dollars at mouser, so looking at about 55-70 for the set of 2 sockets and 2 connectors. or could use a single 4 pin socket and route the wires over the headband and spend about 45-55. the alloy ones would cost about 75-80 for the set of 4 max, probably less. there are many other solutions as wel, these just happen to be the best IMO and AFAIK are the only ones with a locking push/pull action with easy release 

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Not incorrect.  Firstly, Amazon sells the HD428 for $55 and change, so even your math shows that the cost of the LEMO connectors exceeds the value of the headphones.  So even using the "cheap" plastic LEMO connectors is a stupid expenditure.  Second, the plastic LEMO parts pale in comparison to the metal parts, unless you need the crazy chemical resistances.  You and I both know that LEMO connectors are huuuuuuuuge overkill for this application, and the only reason to use them on your own gear is for the small size or the attractiveness of a high-spec metal part.

I've built with the LEMO connectors, and no doubt they are sweet.  But it isn't really a good solution for this problem.

Quote:
Quote:
Hehe. LEMO connectors are great, but they will cost more than those headphones.

incorrect, the 2 pin lemo plastic series are about 12-15 dollars at mouser, so looking at about 55-70 for the set of 2 sockets and 2 connectors. or could use a single 4 pin socket and route the wires over the headband and spend about 45-55. the alloy ones would cost about 75-80 for the set of 4 max, probably less. there are many other solutions as wel, these just happen to be the best IMO and AFAIK are the only ones with a locking push/pull action with easy release 

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 8
haha sorry OK you win there, I had no idea they were that cheap, guess I didnt see why someone would be looking to do such a mod with any connector with cans that cheap. even doing it with switchcraft miniXLR will outstrip the cost of the headphones at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back