What computer speakers to get?
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #421 of 515
I ordered the Triangle speakers so I will update folks on how well these go...

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #422 of 515
I have a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5 reference speakers that I use for my desktop.
Mount them on some isoacoustics stands and enjoy open, clean, clear sound!
The only down side is bass though, not that it is bad, just that being only a 4.5" woofer, the bass just can't get quite as low and this is due more to practical physics than anything else.
It goes to ~ 68hz. If I had space, I would have gone for a 6" minimum.
Then again, I have it on my desktop, so I can't complain.
Good for gaming, listening, and my workout sessions since I have my lifting rack and weights in the same room.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #423 of 515
You would really like to try the SOLO series of Microlab. those are a very amazing speakers--or should I call them: fun monitors.
I don't think they are selling on USA, but they are very known in europe.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #424 of 515
You would really like to try the SOLO series of Microlab. those are a very amazing speakers--or should I call them: fun monitors.
I don't think they are selling on USA, but they are very known in europe.

Fun, yes, but are they accurate or detailed? I want a solid balance. Like Beats and Bose are fun stuff but ummmm.... accurate. About as accurate as throwing darts against a Samsung fridge.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #425 of 515
Fun, yes, but are they accurate or detailed?

They are VERY accurate, and details oriented.
let's say that: I've heard some bigger and pricier setups that didn't do what these can do.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #426 of 515
They are VERY accurate, and details oriented.
let's say that: I've heard some bigger and pricier setups that didn't do what these can do.

Cool beans. Looks like we have a few of their models available in the US via Amazon so apparently it's not hard to procure some. It was a pain in the tush of Kush to get my pair of Triangle but luckily I have a private audio dealer here in SLC.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #427 of 515
Looks like we have a few of their models available in the US via Amazon

Yep, saw it too. but this is not the whole line of Microlab. my recommendations goes for SOLO 6C, SOLO7C (I have both). SOLO 8C and 9C supposed to be better, but word is they sound less good compares to the older SOLO 6C/7C.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #428 of 515
What active speaker is recommended for placing on a shelf above my monitors? Prefer no built in DAC, because I need volume on my desktop with something like a Schiit Sys. Would a near field work that way. Here is a picture of my desktop now.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #429 of 515
What active speaker is recommended for placing on a shelf above my monitors. Prefer no built in DAC, because I need volume on my desktop with something like a Schiit Sys.

I assume you mean computer monitors? If so, how concerned are you with high fidelity, the best sound quality, etc? Are these speakers for convenience, or just casual listening?

The subtext for my question is that a shelf above monitors is probably not an optimal location for actives or passive monitors if top-quality sound is the goal. For one thing, the actives would be well above ear level; for another, it's possible theye're up close to the back wall (can't be sure about this/seen a picture of your space).

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #430 of 515
I assume you mean computer monitors? If so, how concerned are you with high fidelity, the best sound quality, etc? Are these speakers for convenience, or just casual listening?

The subtext for my question is that a shelf above monitors is probably not an optimal location for actives or passive monitors if top-quality sound is the goal. For one thing, the actives would be well above ear level; for another, it's possible theye're up close to the back wall (can't be sure about this/seen a picture of your space).

I have headphones and a Milo for great sound. I want to free up desktop space and improve my sound. An alternative would be speakers that can fit under my computer monitors. I added a picture after you quoted me. I would add a Schiit Modi and Sys, but would consider active speakers with included DAC if volume is on the front.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #431 of 515
I have headphones and a Milo for great sound. I want to free up desktop space and improve my sound. An alternative would be speakers that can fit under my computer monitors. I added a picture after you quoted me. I would add a Schiit Modi and Sys, but would consider active speakers with included DAC if volume is on the front.

That's a pretty funky place to put speakers--ie, under monitors or over them. Over is nuts--they'd be too far above your ears. But under has its own issues.

Here's an off-the-wall thought: get the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (link below), which has a built-in DAC & remote-controlled volume. Put each monitor on its side under your monitors: with the left active speaker's tweeter on the left/outside; and the right active speaker's tweeter on the right/outside. Sited that way, these actives wouldn't image normally, but might otherwise sound decent.

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-one-encore/

These are not high-end designs, but rather compact, relatively well designed mid-fi desktop actives. Many people like these for nearfield application.

Like any nearfield active or passive speakers, these would sound their best if located at equilateral distances from L/R ears, and with some space between them & back wall. But you really can't do that in this constrained space...

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #432 of 515
That's a pretty funky place to put speakers--ie, under monitors or over them. Over is nuts--they'd be too far above your ears. But under has its own issues.

Here's an off-the-wall thought: get the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (link below), which has a built-in DAC & remote-controlled volume. Put each monitor on its side under your monitors: with the left active speaker's tweeter on the left/outside; and the right active speaker's tweeter on the right/outside. Sited that way, these actives wouldn't image normally, but might otherwise sound decent.

These are not high-end designs, but rather compact, relatively well designed mid-fi desktop actives. Many people like these for nearfield application.

Like any nearfield active or passive speakers, these would sound their best if located at equilateral distances from L/R ears, and with some space between them & back wall. But you really can't do that in this constrained space...

I could put them on either side of the monitors, but would need to relocate a mail rack on the right side of the desk ( not in picture) The monitors are centered on the desk. I was hoping to be under $300 to $400 for active speakers with built in DAC. Also, do not want Bluetooth connectivity as the living room system has really nice tower speakers with a preamps receiver that has Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #433 of 515
Well, that's a low budget--it's possible to get actives w/a DAC for that little, but whatever you get will be relatively small & will verge on computer speaker quality.

You may want to look at various Edifier models...

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #434 of 515
Well, that's a low budget--it's possible to get actives w/a DAC for that little, but whatever you get will be relatively small & will verge on computer speaker quality.

You may want to look at various Edifier models...

I don’t necessarily need a DAC, but my desktop is constrained to the point my Milo is behind my monitors, so adding a DAC makes it worse. I do like the ones you linked. I added them to my Amazon cart, because I have nearly $300 in gift card balance and enough Shopkick kicks for another $200 in Amazon gift cards. That makes my net only a little over $100 out of pocket. Also the remote makes it easy to adjust the volume or mute it when using headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #435 of 515

I wonder how the Transparent One Encore compares to the Adam A5X. Of course I would need to add another DAC that can stack on top of my Metrum Musette. I could also use my Metrum Musette and add a Schiit Sys to use the same DAC with speakers and my headphone amp.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A5X--adam-audio-a5x-5.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back