What Cd's/Songs go really well with my Senn 590's + Santa Cruz?
Jun 8, 2002 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

samonapj

New Head-Fier
Ok guys I just got some awesome Senn 590's and a santa cruz (infact I got a whole new pc but lets stick to audio :>) I am basically looking for awesome cd's/songs of ANY genre minus country that will sound awesome on the 590's. Keep in mind I also have some Klipsch 4.1's but I just want the songs for the headphones. Also are there any other sound applications/ sound altering programs you guys would recommend to use with my setup? I use lame/razor lame, EAC, Cool player. My only qualms with the card/setup is I want to get them the volume a bit louder (dont get me wrong the max volume on most things already is too loud) but maybe thats the price id pay for not getting an amp (or the price I didn't have to pay hehe)...

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 15
you got the headphones and now you need music? didn't you choose the setup to match with your musical tastes?

pretty much anything should sound good with the 590s. I could just randomly name some bands and stuff, but where does that get you eh?

I can really recommend Marillion - This Strange Engine anyway, if you're up for some great, mostly acoustic, uplifting yet thouhtfull rock. very mellow album, very beautifull, specially the titel track. and acoustic guitars (there some beautifull electric soloing going too tho) go great with slightly bright headphones.

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 15
That is exactly the type of music I want
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 15
He didn't get them for music to start out with--he got that combo for gaming... and he just happened to spark a bit of audiophile-based music taste in him, which he wants help with discovering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 15
ah, well, that explains it then
smily_headphones1.gif

good luck with the Marillion then, samonapj. it's an excellent album in every aspect. be sure to post some comments!

HeadFi has experts for most every genre you can think of. point us in a direction and no doubt you'll get some great recommendations.

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 15
The best sounding CD I have is Clair Marlo "Let it Go". It was produced by Sheffield Lab and is now out of print, yet you can find it on eBay. It is a female vocal and will make any system sound better than it has on most CDs.
Another great CD is Pink Floyd "dark side of the moon" especially the Mobile fidelity sound labs version.
Happy Listening
Clay

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by samonapj
Ok guys I just got some awesome Senn 590's and a santa cruz (infact I got a whole new pc but lets stick to audio :>) I am basically looking for awesome cd's/songs of ANY genre minus country that will sound awesome on the 590's.

Congratulations, the HD590 are great headphones and are definitely included in my list of favorites.

For awesome sound that you can use to demo them...
I would suggest the following CDs:

-Crash Test Dummies - "God Shuffled His Feet"
-Jordi Savall - "HARMONIE UNIVERSELLE" (Alia Vox label)
-Dave Matthews Band - "BeforeThese Crowded Streets"
-Dave's True Story - "Sex Without Bodies"
-Sheryl Crow - "The Globe Sessions"
-This Mortal Coil - "Blood"
-The Corrs - "Unplugged"
-Radiohead - "OK Computer"
-Deus - "In A Bar, Under the sea"

These are among the most impressive I own (I have about 750 CDs). There are many other classics like Cowboy Junkies "The Trinity Session", etc, that get recommended all the time here.

But those are probably among my favourite. The first 4 are definitely must-have for any audiophile.

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 15
I really love you audio freaks, you guys are so much cooler then the Video and cooling freaks out there. In fact being introduced to different genres of music has been really opening my ears to some cool things!

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 15
"Of a Girl" on on Pearl Jam's Binaural sounds pretty sweet since it is binaurally recorded (the only song on the album recorded this way). I like "unititled" by smashing pumpkins as well. "The National Athem" by Radiohead is a pretty wild song, lots of instruments everywhere. Tools last 2 albums will sound good on any system. Well, I should be working so I will stop there :p

Biggie.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 15
for the latin sound, i would recommend the 'Bueana Vista social club - Bueana Vista social club'. Very nice album.

And 'old' radiohead kick ass, but i always prefered the bends to OK computer. I dont like anything they did after those two albums

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

would recommend the 'Bueana Vista social club - Bueana Vista social club'. Very nice album.

i'll check this out. see, i was a sucker for the Gipsy Kings before i actually got into high quality audio equipment...then i realized how small the soundstage sounded on their recordings...

edit: can you point me to a place online that i can audition this album...i cant find one...this is pretty rare stuff isnt it???

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
have anything to recommend that involves spanish guitars and latin sound???

While not exactly matching your request, Gloria Stefan's "Mi Tierra" is very well engineered.

You might want to try Madredeus recordings too for nice guitars (Portuguese guitar, not spanish however).

Good question tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back